GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now i'm in the market for a 96 Silverado (Extended Cab and 4X4). I've found one that suits me well with a brand new engine and Trans(Receipts included) with a Rough Country suspension lift and 35" All terrains with about 50% tread left. Rides excellent and I really can't complain. The price at lowest was $7800 which was extremely reasonable in how straight the truck was in my opinion. Though one of my family members said that I should go with an 80's model K5, buy it for about $4000-$5000 stock and build up from there. He brings up resale value and that by the time I try to resale the 96 in about 4 or 5 years it'd be worth $2000-$3000 with all current and future parts and maintenance. He then brings up the point that since the K5 is a classic I would be able to get my $7000-$8000 back that I bought the truck for and including extensive parts I would put onto it seeing that it would become probably a mud truck within those 4-5 years. Any comments?

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
my comment... and that price is in excellent condition... guy was selling one up here for 6500 with 200k on the clock.. told him i'd be insulting him with my offer (which would've been less than half)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry but that '96 would have to in very damn good shape with very low miles to be worth over $7k. I wouldn't pay more than half that for a truck that's about 19 years old.

As far as K5s go, their prices have been coming up as they get older and move into the "vintage" truck catagory. Depending on where you are you can still find them in decent shape. Buying an unmolested one is usually the best route. I'd look for an '87-'91 as this gets you the best features out of all the years including TBI. That said, you can still daily drive a K5 but as a square body owner myself, be prepared to frequently work on and repair it. It takes a lot of maintenance to keep these old trucks going.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts