GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Go5.3tt06
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I want to share with you with my info. I bought a 1984 Chevrolet K10 or C10 4x4. Look like its 10" lifted. Also IROK 39.5" tires. Of course its 350 v8. I bought only $400. Its run. But I had to run hot wire to jump with start. Because some wires not work to make crank up. More likely need new whole wires. Im trying to find cheap $ with new wire harness even painless. But they cost around 500. Its sounds so pricely. But the reason im here to ask your some help. I nocited my truck was an auto. Now been changed to manuel. I wasnt sure if its 3 or 4 speeds. Cause I tried shift on 1 gear up. It seem not. I want to know how I can shift to 1. I had to shift 2 gear to move. I know 1 gear would be low granny right? Also is there I could find correct front driveshaft. Cuz it been broken. It was all tored up when I bought it. Hopefully you can find me good front driveshaft with cheap $ Here the picture. Let me know anything I need to know?
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g318/Lightning4Luke/orag2.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g318/Lightning4Luke/orangetruck.jpg

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
:eek: 40s on a 10 bolt? There is no granny gear for the auto trannies. Im not sure if GM hadmoved to the 700R4 4 speed tranny by 1984 or not. It could be that (has an OD) or a TH350 which is a 3 speed. The truck looks like its lifted 8" to me :think:. I have no input on the wiring, sorry bro. Nice truck BTW. Look into a 14FF and Dana60 swap though.

M

·
0 Posts
So it's a stick shift? If so, it should be a 3 speed + granny gear. The shift pattern works like this:

·
Go5.3tt06
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:eek: 40s on a 10 bolt? There is no granny gear for the auto trannies. Im not sure if GM hadmoved to the 700R4 4 speed tranny by 1984 or not. It could be that (has an OD) or a TH350 which is a 3 speed. The truck looks like its lifted 8" to me :think:. I have no input on the wiring, sorry bro. Nice truck BTW. Look into a 14FF and Dana60 swap though.
Hey I mean my truck was an auto. Some guy was doing swap to MANUAL tranny. I not sure if its 3 or 4 speeds? RIGHT NOW my truck is MANUAL NOT AUTO.. If its 3 I think it will be no good on road. I can change to 4 speed? What you mean 14ff? Dana60 you mean in the rearend? Yes mine are 10 bolts as well.
Also I want to know why my truck steering when I turn on right it seem so short. So I turn on left it is full complelty. But one problem is turning right not seem right. I had to reverse and forward to get more room to move. Any reason for this?

M

·
0 Posts
As far as manual transmissions go, 4 speed is going to be a floor shifted trans...most likely the sm465. This has a granny gear and 1-2-3 like I posted above.

A 3 speed manual would have to be the column shifted trans...saginaw 343 I think.

Neither of those transmissions have overdrive so they're streetability is about equal.

The steering itself is probably not centered. How many turns of the steering wheel from center do you have each way?

·
Go5.3tt06
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as manual transmissions go, 4 speed is going to be a floor shifted trans...most likely the sm465. This has a granny gear and 1-2-3 like I posted above.

A 3 speed manual would have to be the column shifted trans...saginaw 343 I think.

Neither of those transmissions have overdrive so they're streetability is about equal.

The steering itself is probably not centered. How many turns of the steering wheel from center do you have each way?
I like ur truck! Yes its stick on floor. But the reason on first gear up wont shift in. I dont know why. But I shift to 2 is fine
BUT one problem is first gear. is those tranny good to have a granny gear make it stronger pull? I will video the steering and show you to see if you can see and find what it cause?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts

:rofl2: Sounds exactly like my old K10..15..whichever a longbed is

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
That dosent look like a 10bolt rear to me. Possibly a 12bolt?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
nice looking truck imo. i love those old rcsb's lifted. sounds like the muncie (sm465) like matt said. i had one in my k5 and always started in 2nd. that was a fun trans.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
nice looking truck imo. i love those old rcsb's lifted. sounds like the muncie (sm465) like matt said. i had one in my k5 and always started in 2nd. that was a fun trans.
Well, "second" on the SM465 is actually first and granny gear is just that, granny gear.

M

·
0 Posts
I like ur truck! Yes its stick on floor. But the reason on first gear up wont shift in. I dont know why. But I shift to 2 is fine
BUT one problem is first gear. is those tranny good to have a granny gear make it stronger pull? I will video the steering and show you to see if you can see and find what it cause?
Thanks bud. Granny and reverse are not synchronized. If you're sitting still and unable to get the trans into granny or reverse, let out on the clutch for just a moment (this is called feathering) while the truck idles, then try to put the truck into gear.

You're on the right track as far as what granny is for...it's for pulling. Unless you're towing something heavy, climbing offroad, or pulling out a stuck truck, you don't ever use granny. Since I don't tow anything, I don't ever use granny on the street.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
That dosent look like a 10bolt rear to me. Possibly a 12bolt?
I was thinking the same thing. It is 6 lug but the rear sure looks like that alien shape. Id vote 12 bolt With Danielle.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,894 Posts
i agree on the 12bolt

nice truck... adress the wiring and throw some 1 tons on that bitoch

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
i agree on the 12bolt

nice truck... adress the wiring and throw some 1 tons on that bitoch
regardless 10 or 12, they have close to the same weakness when it comes to running large tires :imo

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Regardless of how everyone feels about weak axles, I find it a little strange that his '84 has a 12bolt rear. Wasnt the last year for the 12bolt rear '81? That would mean someone had replaced it and then could have rigged the trans in there. But I could be wrong, I have heard a few saying their post-'81/pre-IFS trucks had 12bolts in them.:hmm: Interesting...

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,894 Posts
i wouldnt know about the years

i do know that alot of oobs trucks i see around here do have 12 bolts... mostly just 2wd trucks though

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Most of the mud racers down here run spooled or welded 12bolt rears on 38.5 Boggers or 33-35" paddles on 700hp. I'd say they are pretty strong.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts