GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im brand new to the site, a guy at work showed me it and i hope you guys can give me some advice. i have a 87 gmc long bed it has the 4.3 262 v6 and i want to lift it before i ship out for the navy. i need recomendations on lifts and any kind of mods. would like to keep it max 6" lift and biggest on tires would be 35's. thank you

·
Maniac
692 Posts
im brand new to the site, a guy at work showed me it and i hope you guys can give me some advice. i have a 87 gmc long bed it has the 4.3 262 v6 and i want to lift it before i ship out for the navy. i need recomendations on lifts and any kind of mods. would like to keep it max 6" lift and biggest on tires would be 35's. thank you
That thing will be gutless unless you gear the hell out of it. That V6 blows fat dinkey dick. Sell it and get a V8 or do a swap. Is it 4X4?

·
FoTfive'dpokinoutdaside
2,295 Posts
I don't think they made a 4.3 until the 90's.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,900 Posts
87 has a solid front axle... i'd get a 4inch tuff country lift with 15x8s and what ever 35s you want.... what transmission do you have... might need to gear it!

·
Registered
391 Posts
87 has a solid front axle... i'd get a 4inch tuff country lift with 15x8s and what ever 35s you want.... what transmission do you have... might need to gear it!
Good advice. With that body style you can go 4" or 6" and be fine with 35s. But like he said, if it has that v6 in it you are probably gonna wanna re-gear it so it will turn those 35's easier.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,900 Posts
yea bruce... i am guessing he would have a 700r4 or turbo 350... but didnt those trucks come with like a 3.08 and 3.23 gear ratio stock... maybe the 87s had lower gears since it was a new engine design and trans if its the 700r4

·
Registered
391 Posts
yea its either t350 or 700r4 but it really depends on if its a 1/2t or 3/4t. I believe k10s lowest ratio was 3.73s and 3/4ts were available with 4.10s. It really could be a variety of things.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,900 Posts
if it has a tb350 i think its like a 3.08 ratio... i know they were geared high so that they wouldnt turn to high of rpm on the highway.... I doubt its a 3/4 ton considering he has a 4.3

·
Registered
391 Posts
if it has a 350 i think its like a 3.08 ratio... i know they were geared high so that they wouldnt turn to high of rpm on the highway.... I doubt its a 3/4 ton considering he has a 4.3
agreed, i was just throwing that out there, you never know what someone could have swapped in there over the years.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I have seen a '91 V30 3+3 with a 350/4l80e/205(vss)/D60/14FF. It's possible to be a 3/4ton v6.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,900 Posts
if it is... thats just DUMB IMFO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the truck is a 1/2 ton. it does have a tbi 4.3 with a solid front axle and the 700r4 tranny, i just put an aburn limitd slip rear end in it and that has helped alot! as for motor swaps im gonna leave the v6 in it for now, maybe do like a throttle body spacer or something just to give it a little more push. i did run 35's on it for about a week until i got my new tires and the truck turned them just fine. so r there any little extra porwer adders i can throw on it?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
the truck is a 1/2 ton. it does have a tbi 4.3 with a solid front axle and the 700r4 tranny, i just put an aburn limitd slip rear end in it and that has helped alot! as for motor swaps im gonna leave the v6 in it for now, maybe do like a throttle body spacer or something just to give it a little more push. i did run 35's on it for about a week until i got my new tires and the truck turned them just fine. so r there any little extra porwer adders i can throw on it?
2 more cylinders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts