Votes: 14 45.2%
  • 93 octane

Votes: 17 54.8%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of gas do you run in your truck, and also, what are the benefits of running 93 compared to the cheaper 89 or 87 octane?

I run 93 and always have since I got it off the dealership lot.

Am I just wasting my money or is it really helping my engine. I know people can get a tune for 93 and see improvements but on a basically stock truck does it help at all?

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Benefits are nil if you don't have a tune.

I run 93 in both my trucks, the Chevy is a TBIChips.com Memcal tuned for 93 and the GMC is a BB tuned for 93.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Octane rating is nothing more than a gasoline's resistance to detonation. 93 does not mean it is cleaner gas, better gas, or better for your truck.

Unless you're tuned for it, you'll see no benefits at all.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know all of yall are going to say get a BB tune, which I will, but I have a programer right now which is set for 93 octane. Am I still getting my moneys worth. Its a diablo predator.

·
Smiggles
3,493 Posts
I run 93 because of teh superchips, when I get tuned itll be a 93 ocr. tune

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have the lq9 which requires at least 91, i just got my BB tune for 93.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I buy 93 if I can find it around here as most places only sell 92 oct. I told Justin that it was hard finding 93 around here so he made some adjustments for 92 oct w/ ethanol, cuz thats all you find around here.

·
-Consistantly Retarded-
624 Posts
Octance rating relates to vapor pressure and its likelihood to detonate under rapid compression/heating.

·
This is a bunch of shit!
1,943 Posts
Impala runs premium so 93 at the place I usually fill up at. It's tuned for 91. The Tahoe has no tune so it runs 87.

·
1,847 Posts
I know all of yall are going to say get a BB tune, which I will, but I have a programer right now which is set for 93 octane. Am I still getting my moneys worth. Its a diablo predator.
If its set to 93 then u need to run 93. It'll ping if u don't which is no bueno

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I run 93 and its set to 93. I was just seeing if running a stock truck on 93 benifits from it. But I can see that it dosen't.

Once I get a BB tune I'm getting the 93//92 octane setting.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I have always used 91(thats the highest here) in my 5.3, and now with the tune I love it!:burnout:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Probably won't see much on a dyno either on these truck motors N/A

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
i got my truck tuned at 87. im a jew and hate buying premium

My comment was for tuned shit like yours, unless you have a real radical motor don't expect much with what most are working with...

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
I got my tahoe tuned for 87 when I had it... not much point in getting a higher octane tune :imo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts