GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
NOT A SHOW TRUCK!!
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating on lifts and I am looking at the 6.5 Dick Cepek and the 6 inch fabtech and from looking the fabtech doesnt give as much lift and most likely I can get the fabtech cheaper, but my question is is there any problems with the fabtech I know it doesnt lift as high as the DC but I really dont want it all that high for now just enough lift to hold me over until I can afford the SAS next summer :naughty: , and if anybody has any pics of the 6 inch fabtech and some 33s or 35s plsz post pics.

thanks,
Aaric

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
If your going SFA dont even bother with a ifs lift. I wish I hadnt. Thats my one regret on my truck.

·
NOT A SHOW TRUCK!!
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dark Eternal said:
If your going SFA dont even bother with a ifs lift. I wish I hadnt. Thats my one regret on my truck.

ive been debating but my dad will pay half of the fabtech or DC but he is 100% against the straight axle that and since Im not working fulltime anymore its hard to come up with the money, most likely it will be next summer before I get the money for the SAS so if hes gonna help me buy it Im gonna go ahead and get it if ya know what I mean :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
i thought the fabtech was a 7" lift? anyways, thats what im getting and i'd give u pics but it wont be for a couple months probly the way my income is right now

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
tallassguy said:
i thought the fabtech was a 7" lift? anyways, thats what im getting and i'd give u pics but it wont be for a couple months probly the way my income is right now

he is talking about his 4 wheel drive, you have a 2wd which fabtech makes a 7 inch kit for.

and i hate to say this, but damn sfa talk is trendy these days :crazy:

anyways, for the 88-98 trucks, DC and rancho are the best 6 inch lifts availible. when you have a lift as awesome as the rancho and DC, dont settle for the price tag of the fabtech. thats assuming you can get it for less, being as it is a spindle lift just like NBS fabtech and it probably costs more than rancho.

Rancho gives you 6 inches, drops the diff 6 inches keeping you CV angles great, and it includes a one piece subframe and one piece upper control arm drops. its a stout as stout can be kit.

DC is also solid as a rock. its a little more than rancho but gives you an extra .5 inch.

good luck and happy trucking :gmfs:

·
6,656 Posts
I hear ya on the sfa talking being trendy. Seems like I say one word about it and 15 other people have the same idea!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Jeff said:
he is talking about his 4 wheel drive, you have a 2wd which fabtech makes a 7 inch kit for.....
o ok. my bad :slap:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've got a 6" Fabtech with 35s on my Yukon. You can check out pics at the "first annual GMFS meet" on the main page. The only thing I don't like about the lift, is that my front tires stick out about 1" more than the rear. But I hear that's the case with most spindle lifts for 4wd trucks. I'll just have to get wheel spacers for the back. 4wp installed it with only minor front valence trimming. I don't go offroading at all since I can't afford to pay for anything that might break. I just got the lift for "looks." I'd say, if the pops will pay for half of it......get it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
save your money for the SAS would be my suggestion, but if you really want to lift it now go Cepek. Best OBS lift out there IMO and I don't say that because I have one but I have owned and seen other lifts that size for the OBS and they are not as stout. lot of people have the spindle type lifts but I prefer full drop kits. Also on pricing I think you can get a Cepek cheaper than a Fabtech

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey, Im from FullsizeChevy and I would also reccommend the Fabtech, no probs whatsoever and I do go mudding and climbing quite a bit. CV angles arent that bad, although I wish they would drop the diff 6", oh well. The only gripe I have as well is the fact that my front tires stick out so far, cant keep the truck clean, but it looks pretty nice when you stand in front of it. I have some pics here but they are only with my 285's on 16x10's, now I have 315 MT/R's and it looks 10x better. My $.02

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
Sevenfold said:
:word: And most of the people that talk about it don't even do it, let alone even need it for the type of wheeling they do. :ehcapt:

:cheers:

Thats always my point too.

Typical potentail SFA swaper: " My friend heard of this guy that knows a guy that broke a CV and says IFS sucks so I gonna do a SFA swap cause it has more travel for when I crawl over speed bumps go over rail road tracks at 25 mph"

Dont get me wrong fellas...... I firmly believe SFA has its place. Just most people dont need it... myself included.

·
NOT A SHOW TRUCK!!
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the info guys I think im gonna hold off a while and either just throw on some 285s and leave it stock or maybe put on a body lift but i dunno yet,

I agree on the SAS talk but IMO theres nothing wrong with IFS I was want to run either 44s-49s and be able to wheel my truck hard and not worry about breakin shyt :read:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
I hear ya on the sfa talking being trendy. Seems like I say one word about it and 15 other people have the same idea!
hey bro, dont go sounding all big headed or anything....talk like that has been trendy for a while. It's all good tho, to each his own, personallhy all the talk is makin me :puke: also

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
norcalbrdr51 said:
hey bro, dont go sounding all big headed or anything....talk like that has been trendy for a while. It's all good tho, to each his own, personallhy all the talk is makin me :puke: also

WORD :read:

·
6,656 Posts
So you dont find it funny that about 10 people have 90% identicle plans to do sfa the SAME exact way Luke from FSC and I worked it out? I also get about 3 people a week IMing or PMing me about it. Im not complaining in any way, I think its great that more people are exploring the idea - I do think people shouldnt say they are going to do it before they do the research though. I hope ive helped some people make a decision about it, whether its to do it or not to. Ive never claimed that I came up with the process or am the first to do it. ALL of the info Ive gotton has been compiled from other sources. The writeup im doing is a combo of that and what I have learned while im working on my setup.

·
6,656 Posts
willyswanter said:
I think I'm going to do an sfa swap... Getting sick of replacing cv's...
hahaha did the IFS on your truck even ever see offroad? You had the idea right with getting it off asap.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Oh yeah, wheeled it just as hard stock as I do now... Just can make it farther now... I never saw the point in buying an ifs lift for it since I knew what I was going to do. I had a previous truck before this that was a 95 and I knew all about trying to wheel an IFS truck with a lift kit and 35's...

I blew about 4 cv's on my truck with the stock E range 30" tires. Usually I would be crossed up turning and hit the gas in 4 lo and pop clickity click click clickity. Back to Autozone... So I tore it out and sold all the IFS stuff for $800, go figure.

Mad flex yo!:

This was about 10 minutes after I picked it up from the previous owner:

So yeah I did a few things with it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts