GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum so, hello. Been through countless pages so i decided to become a member, anyway.. I have a 88 chevy SWB single cab, just shackles on it. soooo, ive been window shopping for a good while and im thinking 4/6 is what i wanna do. i see one problem, i have boss 18s, 18x9 all the way around. I used the end of my tape measure as a plumb bob, and it looks like the rear is fine for tucking, and the front looked like it would be fine. btw, im running 255/55/18 tires, backspacing im not sure of but the tires brush the lower control arm in lock position, so my couple big questions are, with a good c notch (belltech maybe) a flip kit of course, and air shocks or some kind of help, will i be able to tow a decently loaded trailer? i mean, its a half ton pickup, so im not gonna hook up to a car hauler or anything, but maybe a 16' with wheelers, or a small camp trailer. will i need to box the rear section? and i was wondering since im kinda tight and broke.. is it possible to get 4" out of cutting the stock coils up front, and fabbing a little to be able to make it line up when i take it to the alignment shop. any help or experience is great. Please dont burn me for making another 4/6 drop thread:crazy:

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Summit Racing has relatively inexpensive flip kits for the rear that come with everything you need out back. You'll want to find a set of stock shackles for a 6" drop though. You can run either air shocks or adjustable coilover load-leveling shocks if you plan to tow. It will be fine, just weld in that notch.

Up front, don't cut the coils that much. It's fine a maybe a couple of inches of drop, but not 4". If you really want to cheap out, buy 2" drop spindles and cut your springs but be forewarned the ride quality will be crap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, now that i look at what i posted im kind of ashamed... talk about ******* engineering (4" of drop by cuttin coils) lol. so whats the best notch out there for the 6" drop? DJM has the right price for the flip kit, but thats what scares me. belltechs is almost a bill more djm, but it looks more like a frame rail instead of an ugly add on, but im all in the name of strength and not as much on good looks when it comes to the frame. DJM spindles and springs a good choice for the front? I know ive heard the springs can collapse (could be wrong) and ive also heard the spindles will make it hard to find wheels. I looked at a thread where someone was cutting the lower control arm because of it. with 18" wheels will this ever be a problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in the event of a flat on the front, i would be puttin on my 15x8 aluminum american racing spare tire, not sure on backspacing

·
Registered
26 Posts
so whats the best notch out there for the 6" drop? DJM has the right price for the flip kit, but thats what scares me. belltechs is almost a bill more djm, but it looks more like a frame rail instead of an ugly add on, but im all in the name of strength and not as much on good looks when it comes to the frame. DJM spindles and springs a good choice for the front? I know ive heard the springs can collapse (could be wrong) and ive also heard the spindles will make it hard to find wheels. I looked at a thread where someone was cutting the lower control arm because of it. with 18" wheels will this ever be a problem?
Hey sneakysteve,

Belltech may be more expensive but it is definitely worth it when your comparing notches. The Belltech is a single stamped piece that wraps over the top, side and bottom of the frame and will give much more strength over the DJM part as it only mounts to the outside of the frame.

With the truck notched and using either air shocks or a helper bag system you will have no problem pulling a small boat.

Springs can collapse with age or after being cut if too much heat is generated during the trimming process but most aftermarket springs companies are using good wire material and manufacturing processes that collapsing springs are few and far between so i wouldn't worry about it.

When running a drop spindle on the 88-98 c1500 trucks, trimming of the lower control arm is commonplace to keep it from rubbing under full lock. If you run a 18x8 with 5"bs you'll be perfect.

Drop me a pm if you'd like some help rounding up any parts, I'd be happy to help.

Regards

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey sneakysteve,

Belltech may be more expensive but it is definitely worth it when your comparing notches. The Belltech is a single stamped piece that wraps over the top, side and bottom of the frame and will give much more strength over the DJM part as it only mounts to the outside of the frame.

With the truck notched and using either air shocks or a helper bag system you will have no problem pulling a small boat.

Springs can collapse with age or after being cut if too much heat is generated during the trimming process but most aftermarket springs companies are using good wire material and manufacturing processes that collapsing springs are few and far between so i wouldn't worry about it.

When running a drop spindle on the 88-98 c1500 trucks, trimming of the lower control arm is commonplace to keep it from rubbing under full lock. If you run a 18x8 with 5"bs you'll be perfect.

Drop me a pm if you'd like some help rounding up any parts, I'd be happy to help.

Regards
theyre 18x9 with 5 1/2" bs im pretty sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts