GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the time has come.

As I have collected the parts and done a little bit of work, I figured I'd start to document my progress in swapping my 700R4 out for a NV4500.

What $400 and 3 hours of time got me.

And all the other stuff that makes the conversion work

After doing a little more research and figuring out what parts I need, I ordered a bunch of other stuff.

Jegs Flywheel (the original was a big block flywheel)

Hays Super truck Clutch

Clutch Fork Ball Stud (left old - right new)

Flywheel key and Clutch fork bushing

New input shaft pilot bearing and thrust bearing

Flywheel dust sheild

Trans-transfercase gasket.

Clutch Pedal Bracket

Cruise control kill switch

Clutch pedal spring

New shift tower boot

And 4 quarts of Amsoil MTG GL-4 fluid.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I started by checking everything out. The NV4500 is a relatively simple transmission, and is a top-loader style. – this means we can pull the top off and take a peek inside.

Everything looks pretty good inside so far. The only real thing I noticed is the input shaft has a little play in it (which is why I replaced the pilot and thrust bearings for it).

My NV4500 had a magnet in the bottom center of the case, held in by a little clip. I of course pulled it out to find the normal grey sludge they collect. I also cleaned everything inside and out.

Also got the bellhousing and clutch fork all cleaned up

Now I have a transmission temp gauge in my truck already wired to the 700R4. While the NV4500 has no provision for a temperature sender (without buying aftermarket PTO coolers) I wanted to keep it. Upon researching the transmission, I had found that early versions had a drain plug located below the fill plug. I’m only hypothesizing here, but I think it was left out because the lower PTO bolts make an excellent drain by themselves, however the locating in the case still has a thicker walled area where the plug used to be.

So a little help from my friend BV

away with the drill and tap I went.

Putting things back together with some ultragrey.

Next up is a coat of paint on the castiron portion of the case, which will be happening this weekend. Then the truck is getting loaded up and I’m heading home, installing everything next week.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were most comming in truck sover 8,600 GVWR. Mine came from a 94 Silverado K2500 w/ a 454.

Gm started using the NV4500 in 92. The 92-94 used a different shift tower and had a lower 1st & reverse gear (6.34 vs 5.61) than the later style and dodge versions.

The dodge and GM versions have different bolt patterns and input shafts as well.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Fuck...this is just fueling the edge I have on putting a stick in my truck

Nice work thus far

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i want that dog lol
Unfortunatly he isn't going to be sticking around. My 3-yr old Blacklab/boxer mix HATES him, to the point of wanting to kill the puppy. Luckily enough another friend of mine was also looking at dogs, so he at least has a good home, plus I'll still get to see him.

Fuck...this is just fueling the edge I have on putting a stick in my truck

Nice worth thus far
Thanks. And yes, do put a stick in your truck.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
They were most comming in truck sover 8,600 GVWR. Mine came from a 94 Silverado K2500 w/ a 454.
Damnit, how much did it run you? I've been looking for a NV4500/454 combo from a 4wd to mate up to my 205 and swap into my 78.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Thanks. And yes, do put a stick in your truck.
I would LOVE to....just can't foresee having 3 vehicles, all of which that are sticks. I like having an auto from time to time.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damnit, how much did it run you? I've been looking for a NV4500/454 combo from a 4wd to mate up to my 205 and swap into my 78.
$400 for everything I took. Guy wanted another $300 for the motor but I didn't have the $$$ now plus the motor looksed like it had lived a better life.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
$400 for everything I took. Guy wanted another $300 for the motor but I didn't have the $$$ now plus the motor looksed like it had lived a better life.
You got a smokin deal. Everyone wants upwards of $1000 for just the NV4500 around here.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the guy honestly didn't know what he had. He told me the truck was a 93 Silverado w/ 350 & 5-speed and it had a bent frame and cracked axle. So I was expecting it to be munched in the front, but when we get there it was a 94 K2500 454/ NV4500. The front axle grenaded itself, and the "bent frame" was actually a bad motor mount. In all reality he could have replaced the motor mount and front diff for a few hundred $......

He said make an offer, so I did. NV4500s around here go for at least $800 by themselves, I probably could sell the setup for $1,500 easy.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, a quick update.

I got the cast portion of the trans painted up black, and spent some more time with the wire wheel and cleaned up the outside of the bellhousing. I also attached the clutch fork to the new ballstud and threw the flywheel dust shield on for ease of transport.

I also ordered a DEI 689M remote start module for manual transmissions. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WB4NN2/ref=ox_ya_oh_product Basically how it works is when exiting the truck, you remote start it while running, set the parking brake and then lock the doors on the outside. The truck turns off (in neutral obviously) and will be able to remote start unless the sequence is broke (I.E. door opening). I just couldn't give up remote start, since i've had it for over 6 years now.

And now that I Got all the stuff out of my garage and into the pickup, I'll be heading to the parents place tomorrow to start the project, so check back for updates! The yellow truck is going away in storage. Just for the record, a FSC fits through a 7' wide garage door, but just barely. I've never been so damn nervous about parking something.... but it fits. :D

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, here is another update. Last night I pulled the drivelines, T-case and crossmembers, then this morning finished pulling the transmission. While I was doing that Dad took and swapped the input shafts between the t-cases and got them back together.

Last of the 700R4 under the truck

NP241 guts

NV4500 vs. 700R4. Finally with both out of the truck I could measure and verify the lengths of each. The NV4500 is 1/8" longer than my 700R4.

With all that out of the way, I got started on the interior. Drilled the holes for the clutch master cylinder. The large center bore is a 1 3/8" diameter (coincedently the same size as my cab light holes).

Then lots of interior comes out. I cleared a few spots off of the sheetmetal to weld the clutch pedal support in, then bolted the clutch pedal in.

While I was doing this, Dad put the flywheel and clutch together under the truck.

A quick poser shot of the NV4500/NP241 combo. Lots of New Venture parts here.

So, all that is left now is to wire up the clutch pedal misc and put the interior back together, cut a hole in the floor and put the trans in the truck. Should be tearing through the gears by tomorrow. :D

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man

------------------------

Another quick update. Finally got done screwing around with the clutch bracket. I think I had that thing in and out of there 4-5 times now, figuring out what side the wires go on and such. What a PITA. Then I got the hydraulic line routed and bolted the clutch pedal assembly in.

Then I was off to wiring mania for about the last 5 hours. I had to wire up the clutch cruise control kill, clutch pedal safety start switch, and the backup light switch. I also cleaned up a few other connections while the dash was down. This recent find on ebay was about the most invaluable thing in this entire swap; I don't know how i lived with out it.

The wiring itself wasn't horrible and didn't take too long; making sure all the wiring was out of the way of the pedal did. Once that was done I also swapped the brake pedal, and put the dash up. Now I have me some pedals.

Tomorrow the floor is getting cut, then the interior can be put back together. The only wiring left now is to hook up the reverse lights plug and my trans temp sensor, but that will happen when the trans is in the truck so I know how long to make them.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts