GMC Truck Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I have the Hays 90-103. The application on Jegs website and Summit i think both say it's for a 6.2L diesel, however their website says different. I haven't had an problems with chatter either.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Looks good Brad. You got one of the EARLY models that actually had a drain plug....so must be a 92 or 93 then.

When you going to tear it apart?

·
Tharf is my hero :read:
1,049 Posts
Yeah I scored on this one. It came from a 93 1 ton mated to a 454 dually. I already did the pulldown and inspection before I painted it up. Everything is ready to go. Pretty much working out the rest of the bugs on the truck and battling the inclement weather. Of course my truck has to be 2 feet too high to fit in my garage...My clutch pedal is in. I managed to get pretty luck with that as well. The bracket just bolted in place. Hardest part was re-routing all the wires that went through the firewall including the 1/0 amp wire and then securing them out of the way. I spent 10 years hiding my accessory wires and relay packs right where the clutch pedal needed to go.

Also I didnt swap out my brake pedal. I just cut it smaller and used the smaller pad.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Yeah I scored on this one. It came from a 93 1 ton mated to a 454 dually. I already did the pulldown and inspection before I painted it up. Everything is ready to go. Pretty much working out the rest of the bugs on the truck and battling the inclement weather. Of course my truck has to be 2 feet too high to fit in my garage...My clutch pedal is in. I managed to get pretty luck with that as well. The bracket just bolted in place. Hardest part was re-routing all the wires that went through the firewall including the 1/0 amp wire and then securing them out of the way. I spent 10 years hiding my accessory wires and relay packs right where the clutch pedal needed to go.

Also I didnt swap out my brake pedal. I just cut it smaller and used the smaller pad.
Brad,

Since you say you have TBI in your sig, I am assuming you have the 16197427 ECM. You will need to have a chip burned so that your truck will run correctly with the manual trans. You will need to have the "shift light" turned on. Until I did this, my truck would hit a wall at 3500 RPM. I am sure the person who did the programming for your stroker can do this.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Brad,

Since you say you have TBI in your sig, I am assuming you have the 16197427 ECM. You will need to have a chip burned so that your truck will run correctly with the manual trans. You will need to have the "shift light" turned on. Until I did this, my truck would hit a wall at 3500 RPM. I am sure the person who did the programming for your stroker can do this.
You know anything about doing this to my 88? It runs just fine with my stock computer (no wall) since the ECM really doesn't care what trans is behind my motor, but I'd like a shift light.

I haven't looked into it very deep yet... as it's not top priority.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
You know anything about doing this to my 88? It runs just fine with my stock computer (no wall) since the ECM really doesn't care what trans is behind my motor, but I'd like a shift light.

I haven't looked into it very deep yet... as it's not top priority.
I really don't know what is involved since your truck has a different ECM. You would need a chip adapter to fit a programmable chip to start.

·
1,049 Posts
Good point Bryan. Ill look into that a little closer. Maybe I can just find a 5-speed junkyard truck and pull the ECM from it. Surprisingly I still run the stock chip.

Ultimately ill be scrapping the TBI all together and going with a carb. Ive spent 2-1/2 years and close to 4 grand going to different chip burners and dyno tuners and not one person has gotten my fuel/timing tables even close to driveable with the 90lb injectors meant for my build. I even had to pull my 6 month old engine and out rebuild the bottom end because spark knock cost me a piston. Ive been rolling with stock injectors an stock chip with all these other hop ups doing nothing for a long time. She isnt my daily driver anymore so im just going to bring the engine back to simpler form just as I am doing with the tranny. All the money ive got tied up in a fancy TBI system will more than pay for a good Demon carb and high rise intake. Hell while im at it ill put a better cam in it too and really open up that 383 all in an afternoon.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Good point Bryan. Ill look into that a little closer. Maybe I can just find a 5-speed junkyard truck and pull the ECM from it. Surprisingly I still run the stock chip.

Ultimately ill be scrapping the TBI all together and going with a carb. Ive spent 2-1/2 years and close to 4 grand going to different chip burners and dyno tuners and not one person has gotten my fuel/timing tables even close to driveable with the 90lb injectors meant for my build. I even had to pull my 6 month old engine and out rebuild the bottom end because spark knock cost me a piston. Ive been rolling with stock injectors an stock chip with all these other hop ups doing nothing for a long time. She isnt my daily driver anymore so im just going to bring the engine back to simpler form just as I am doing with the tranny. All the money ive got tied up in a fancy TBI system will more than pay for a good Demon carb and high rise intake. Hell while im at it ill put a better cam in it too and really open up that 383 all in an afternoon.
Wow! They couldn't even get it right on a dyno-tune?? I hate to hear that especially since I know that there are plenty of hot TBI's running around. Are you running a 454 TBI by chance? Sorry for the thread jack.

·
1,049 Posts
Its a ported 350 Throttle Body (to 50mm) by xtremefi mated to a matched ported Edelbrock Intake. Its been a major disappointment and my truck has little top end.

·
1,049 Posts
Doooo Itttttt. Thats a Steal right there. I paid 6 just for the tranny and bellhousing and then had to source everything else separately.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
That isn't a bad price, and I think the Blazer would like it :D

I think i win the cheap NV4500 though, mine was $400 for everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
guaranteed i got all of you beat, this past weekend i pulled one from the local pull a part for $65 out the door, i even snagged the flywheel, clutch, pedals and clutch cylinder from an 89. I convinced them that all those parts should go with the transmission!!
Weirdest part about it was i found it in a 92 k1500 with a v6, and yes i am 100% sure its a 4500, looks to be in decent shape too.
not to hijack your thread, but are there any tests i can do before i put it in my truck to make sure it works good??

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Not really unless you think you can work from underneath. If you have to install the brace i HIGHLY doubt it.

·
Cheezeburger
48 Posts
I loveddd the 4500 in my 3/4 ton 95. The stock clutch lasted till 03 and I bought Centerforce ever since

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'm doing a manual conversation on my 88 suburban 3/4 ton I have everything thing I need to get started except for a clutch pedal assembly of anyone knows where I can find one that would be awesome. Oh before I forget I'm taking my 3 speed auto out for the nv4500 there is nothing wrong with the automatic it's just I prefer a manual transmission.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts