GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to replace the radio and/or tape player in an 89 Sierra? These are the seperate units and so far I haven't found any plugs or connectors behind the dash. I was trying to replace the tape deck (non-working) with a CD player but there are no damn plugs back there.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
820 Posts
You have one of the most diffucult trucks I have ever installed a radio in my friend lol. The plugs are plugged into a metal box that sits vertically behind the dash if i'm not mistaken the plugs are on top of it. The easyiest way to find the box is to take out your tape player and follow the antenna wire to the box. good luck and if you need anymore help just pm me.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'd pull the stock unit out of the dash, along with the "braIN" (silver box underneath), and the tape player. Put a pocket in where the unit was, then where the tape player was they sell a different plastic panel so you can put in a 1 DIN head unit.

·
Registered
820 Posts
They sell a nice kit like Jebx for your truck thats what i used on the truck I did it had a nice pocket for where the stock radio was and a new plastic piece for you cd player to in with new vents and all.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
youll need the dash kit to match the interior color of your truck, the pocket if you dont wanna keep the stock radio controls above the ac, a GM02 or 1858 harness and a GM02 ant adaptor
for tools, phillips screwdriver ,7mm socket ,a torq bit driver, a crimper, a wire stripper, and a small flat head to remove and reinstall the clips that hold in the ac vents in.

the dash panel under the steering column is usually either a + or the 7mm. After that you take out the 3 7mm screw that hold the silver amp/brain box and unplug it all. You then pop the tape deck thing out, and just yank the old wires out (I do). Remove the clips that held it in and install on the new panel and remove and reinstall the ac vents(youll have to do that your own way). If your doing the pocket, take out the 4 torq screws around the dash trim. Then you remove all the ac controls and the radios 7mm screws as well as the one thats between them in the back thats a pain in the ass the reach and reinstall the new pocket and all the ac screws and trim torq bits.
Then you do all your wiring to the gm harness and the radios harness and plug in the ant adaptor and run both pieces to behind the stock tape deck spot(fun). Behind the tape deck youll need to remove the 3 7mms that hold in the (probably) rusty old bracket. Put your cage into the new trim piece and put the trim into the dash. Slide the radio in some and plug everything in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts