GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased this 89 Silverado from a friend who had purchased it some years ago from a friend of his.
When he purchased it, it had its factory white color but he decided to paint it using some sort of undercoating paint or whatever.

My dad had an 89 extended cab with rear seating, so when he first got the truck I always found it odd that it has a step side short bed with rear seating.
I really didn't care since it was not mines at the time, I just bought it off him a few days ago, so now I do care! lol

He kept telling me his friend put a 1995 Corvette engine in it, which isn't the case it has a 5.7 V8, which I prefer.

Long story short, interior is in pretty good shape but needs a few things like mirror and window control switch, but then I remembered my dads 89 which didn't have electric windows or mirrors.

So after searching the net for the switches for an 89 and nothing came up I decided to look for parts for a 95 since he mentioned the engine was a 95 and bingo!

His friend or some previous owner converted the interior ( dash, doors, gauges and all ) to a 95 and dropped a 95 engine in it.

Which I dont mind seeing parts for an 89 when found in good shape can cost a pretty penny compared to parts for a 95.

Someone obviously replaced the extended bed to a short bed which I think is kind of cool.
Engine is strong and he had just rebuilt the transmission a few months before I bought it and barely has any rust at all.

My question is, what sort of paint stripper should I buy to take the undercoating paint off?

I plan on spending a few dollars into it so I can give it to my son as a high school graduation present, I just replaced the tie rods, wheel cylinders and drums.

Going to repair and replace anything that may be unsafe etc. then paint, replace dash and some interior parts etc. before I give it to him.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That will be a nice graduation present for you son. Take the roof light off before you give it to him. Save you both some grief.

·
I have t-rex arms
310 Posts
I’d rather have a 95 LT1 than a 95 TBI truck engine, but prob the TBI truck engine will be easier to work on versus a potential hack job engine swap.

The front end, mirrors, etc all look like a 95, so it is possible they did a complete cab swap. It was possible to order an extended cab truck with a step side bed, so that could be a factory setup unless someone obviously hacked it up.

With that rubber bed liner stuff, I think your only options are some kind of heavy duty aircraft stripper or a grinder. It will be tedious.

I’ll second the vote on removing the bro dozer light bar. And whatever those things are on the rear windows need to hit the dumpster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Some dude on the internet
243 Posts
I agree with finding another one. This one looks like a mish mosh of stuff. 94+ grill, but looks like maybe still has the 88-93 bumper filler, later style wiper arms (clamp not stud), 95+ interior and TBI. Who knows what issues you might find under that bedliner IF you can get it all off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts