GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '89 C2500's speedometer works sometimes and doesn't at other times. I'm guessing its a gauge problem and not a vehicle speed sensor problem as I'm not having any other issues like abs problems. Can the speedo be replaced separately from the odometer? It looks like LMC sells just the speedometer. The reason I ask is my state has yearly inspection requirements and if the odometer readings don't match it could cause issues with getting my inspection sticker. Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears the odo stops working when the speedo stops working. If I tap on the cluster, they both begin working again. I already took the cluster out and checked the plug for a decent connection. Any ideas on what's going on?

· Registered
1 Posts
This is an old post, but I just had this problem and got it fixed by swapping out the guage cluster. Unlike the models a year or two newer, the electronics that convert the VSS signal are in the gauge cluster in 89. I verified the VSS signal to the cluster, si I went to the JY and got another cluster for $20. Problem solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts