GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2oo5 GMC 1500 2wd and I was looking at gettin the 9.5" FTS 2wd lift. Does anyone have this lift, Has anyone herd good or bad news about this lift?
Its a complete drop carrage lift where you use your stock coils and upper and lower control arms, and it has a drop bracket for your rack and pinion. I was wondering how it rode and If any one had any pictures of trucks with this lift, I really want to see up close pictures of this kit installed!
Thanks, any help is better then no help

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The kit is directly based off of their 4wd design. They drop everything down (upper arms, lower arms, & steering.) The rear comes with new leaf springs and you get the basic pro comp shocks with it.

If you just want a lift kit, it's not a bad kit. However, it won't increase performance at all. Wheel travel is exactly the same, the stock coils are re-used, track-width is not increased at all.

The front will ride close to stock, because they re-use the stock springs. The rear will be really stiff because they use cheap leaf springs with a huge arch. Tires are a huge factor in ride quality also.

FTS's old site had a couple of pictures of their 9.5" kit installed on a RCSB truck, but their new site doesn't have any. The kit looks exactly the same as the 4wd kits, except without the torsion bar drop brackets. The truck will sit about 2" shorter, but you can still easily clear a 35-36" tire.

If I were you, I'd get a smaller kit that increased the performance of the truck. Camburg Engineering, for example, makes a really nice 7" 2wd kit that tricks out the front suspension.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The kit is directly based off of their 4wd design. They drop everything down (upper arms, lower arms, & steering.) The rear comes with new leaf springs and you get the basic pro comp shocks with it.

If you just want a lift kit, it's not a bad kit. However, it won't increase performance at all. Wheel travel is exactly the same, the stock coils are re-used, track-width is not increased at all.

The front will ride close to stock, because they re-use the stock springs. The rear will be really stiff because they use cheap leaf springs with a huge arch. Tires are a huge factor in ride quality also.

FTS's old site had a couple of pictures of their 9.5" kit installed on a RCSB truck, but their new site doesn't have any. The kit looks exactly the same as the 4wd kits, except without the torsion bar drop brackets. The truck will sit about 2" shorter, but you can still easily clear a 35-36" tire.

If I were you, I'd get a smaller kit that increased the performance of the truck. Camburg Engineering, for example, makes a really nice 7" 2wd kit that tricks out the front suspension.
camburg is a great company with excellent engineering in their kits, however, i would take a look at what you want to use the truck for. if you dont plan on pre running or anything close to that, the camburg kit will be a waste of money

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I am not looking for a kit for jumping or long travel Just a big kit that rides good for a decient price

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Buy a Cognito lift kit if you want quality. If you just want to sit high in the air then buy whatever.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Buy a Cognito lift kit if you want quality. If you just want to sit high in the air then buy whatever.
thats so typical for someone with a cognito kit that has never used a fts would say that. i dont understand. there isnt that much difference between the kits. fts is very good quality, ive seen there kits go through some shit. i would say go with the fts. unless you wanna save a few hundred bucks then go with the cognito. the only thing i would say is go through a custom shop or something else i wouldnt deal directly with them.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I have friends with FTS lift kits and choose cognito hands down. I have ran CST and feel that their stuff is not what its cracked up to be. Not bad stuff by any means but not worth the price. I also ran a fabtech lift kit on another truck I used to own. Other than their customer service sucking balls they were ok. Another member on here had the same problem as me with them sending me 2 right side spindles and no left..........

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have friends with FTS lift kits and choose cognito hands down. I have ran CST and feel that their stuff is not what its cracked up to be. Not bad stuff by any means but not worth the price. I also ran a fabtech lift kit on another truck I used to own. Other than their customer service sucking balls they were ok. Another member on here had the same problem as me with them sending me 2 right side spindles and no left..........
why do choose them hands down. just because of the look. i think that fts is just as good of quality so why would you say that if you wanted quality to get cognito.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
The design alone of a full drop knuckle kit is stronger than a full drop. Especially when your going 10" plus and running anything bigger than 35s its a great pro. The steering arm supports also come with the cognito and are a great bolt on. I do think the FTS subframe looks like shit especially when looked at from the front.............

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
The design alone of a full drop knuckle kit is stronger than a full drop. Especially when your going 10" plus and running anything bigger than 35s its a great pro. The steering arm supports also come with the cognito and are a great bolt on. I do think the FTS subframe looks like shit especially when looked at from the front.............
I agree FTS kits look like a huge chunk of metal bolted on.

Cognito kits just look better :imo

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I agree FTS kits look like a huge chunk of metal bolted on.

Cognito kits just look better :imo
When are we doing your lift kit. You still up for doing that this summer?
Get your mom a Cognito lift kit for mothers day haha

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Im going to put it together on thursday. Probley go riding on monday or tuesday just to, heat cycle it, break it in a bit and possibly dial the jetting if I hang out long enough. We'll see but it will be soon.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Im going to put it together on thursday. Probley go riding on monday or tuesday just to, heat cycle it, break it in a bit and possibly dial the jetting if I hang out long enough. We'll see but it will be soon.
If you dont mind Ill come by and bring mine when youre gonna put yours together, its time for my valve adjustment and what not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts