GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this may have been asked before but I couldnt find anything after searching. Will a 9" wide wheel work ok with a 15.5" wide tire? Will the bead hold ok?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Sketchy... I was going to run some 15.5's on my truck a while back. Yes, I believe it will work, but still kinda sketch

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The narrower the rim, the tigher the bead holds. The bead on radial tires isn't a flexible stretchable rubber band that has a variable circumference, it has a stout ring of wire under the rubber that keeps it's circumference locked down.. It's not going to let the tire slip over shell of the rim with air in it pushing out uniformly.

The only worry you'll have is contact patch at a decent air pressure. Whats the rim and tire size (basically getting an idea of how tall the sidewall will be)?

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The narrower the rim, the tigher the bead holds. The bead on radial tires isn't a flexible stretchable rubber band that has a variable circumference, it has a stout ring of wire under the rubber that keeps it's circumference locked down.. It's not going to let the tire slip over shell of the rim with air in it pushing out uniformly.

The only worry you'll have is contact patch at a decent air pressure. Whats the rim and tire size (basically getting an idea of how tall the sidewall will be)?
Good to know. Wheel size would be 18x9 and the tire 38x15.5

·
Registered
957 Posts
are you thinking of getting those toyos justin? i think they would look killer on your truck

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
Careful of the wheel backspacing. I know with my Cognito kit, it says not to run a tire 4" wider than the rim. I can see why, my tire is close to the TRE on the knuckles.

Ive thought of doing this a few times, but even the tire manufacturers dont even recommend it. The actually even recomment a 11"+ rim for a 15.5" tire.

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10" should be plenty of sidewall. I'd run it, just make sure your contact patch is decent.
Ok. And I currently run my 37s at 36 psi up front and 30 psi in the rear. Think that would be a good amount to run with the 38s?

are you thinking of getting those toyos justin? i think they would look killer on your truck
Maybe. Going to check them out this weekend if he still has them by then. I want to see how much tread is left. Judging by the pics he has they look pretty good.

Careful of the wheel backspacing. I know with my Cognito kit, it says not to run a tire 4" wider than the rim. I can see why, my tire is close to the TRE on the knuckles.

Ive thought of doing this a few times, but even the tire manufacturers dont even recommend it. The actually even recomment a 11"+ rim for a 15.5" tire.
Yeah I know. Ive already contacted Cognito to see if this setup will work with the lift so Im just waiting to hear back from them. I know monstkx250f is running 16x10s with 4.5" backspacing and 38x15.5 Claws on his truck.

What sucks is its easier to find 18x9 wheels than it is to find 18x10, 18x11, or 18x12.

EDIT: Found a nice set of 18x10s I like. Not sure if the backspacing will work with the kit though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18X10-CHROME-WHEELS-RACELINE-MONSTER-2-CHEVY-FORD--_W0QQitemZ270367833118QQcmdZViewItem

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Ok. And I currently run my 37s at 36 psi up front and 30 psi in the rear. Think that would be a good amount to run with the 38s?

Maybe. Going to check them out this weekend if he still has them by then. I want to see how much tread is left. Judging by the pics he has they look pretty good.

Yeah I know. Ive already contacted Cognito to see if this setup will work with the lift so Im just waiting to hear back from them. I know monstkx250f is running 16x10s with 4.5" backspacing and 38x15.5 Claws on his truck.

What sucks is its easier to find 18x9 wheels than it is to find 18x10, 18x11, or 18x12.

EDIT: Found a nice set of 18x10s I like. Not sure if the backspacing will work with the kit though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18X10-CHROME-WHEELS-RACELINE-MONSTER-2-CHEVY-FORD--_W0QQitemZ270367833118QQcmdZViewItem
I would say with that much difference you will just have to play with the tire pressure to get a good contact patch. No set pressure to really tell you, but it should be fine, although I don't think you will ever get rid of all of the crowning of the tire so it will wear a little faster in the center.

I had those wheels in 17" planned to go on my truck, but never found tires for them. VERYYY Lightweight, but great quality looking wheels.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
Im sure this may have been asked before but I couldnt find anything after searching. Will a 9" wide wheel work ok with a 15.5" wide tire? Will the bead hold ok?
itll be copmpletely fine

·
Registered
688 Posts
I run a 15.5 wide tire on a 10" wide wheel, I did have to hit my UCA with a grinder to get a little more gap between the tire and the UCA, it was way to close for comfort.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
those are nice looking wheels justin :shake:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
those are nice looking wheels justin :shake:
Agreed:shake: Still kicking myself for selling mine, exact same except mine had a smooth lip.
cid__10-28-06_0951.jpg

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
The Cognito instructions state:
- Maximum wheel backspacing is 4 5/8”
- Do not use a tire that is more than 4” wider than the rim width on a 4 1/2” backspaced
wheel.
- Call Cognito Motorsports with wheel and tire suggestions if necessary.
- Follow alignment specs at the end of this instruction set.

So, the 10" wheels and 15.5 will likely not work, or some kind of spacer may be necessary :imo

1 - 20 of 46 Posts