GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a 1991 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Suburban and am going to put a 3" body lift on and a 6" suspension. I was wondering about the suspension. If I go with a 6" Superlift kit, doe's it have everything I need to do the lift, or do I need to purchase the drive shaft extention ect...

Thanks, Aaron

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
with just 6 inches your stock shaft should be just fine. the kit might include some shims to angle your pinion tho. the front will have enough slip to accomodate the lift tho.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Rear shaft will be fine. you will need to shim the rear, and will want to shim the front for proper castor. a 1" spacer for the front shaft isn't a bad idea, but you will need to grind out the cv no matter what. I have 5", but i also have stock 52s up front so it flexes like crazy and i pulled the stock shaft apart a couple times. BTW, i would piece together my own lift if it were me. DIY4x shackle flip rear, 6" tuff country springs OR the b52 brackets and 52s up front with a zero rate, that would net you right around 6" up front, add a zero rate rear and maybe AAL...and if you don't have 56s already, go ahead and swap those in rear. TC springs are the best bang for your buck and flex pretty well for 6" off the shelf springs. Im not sure what all the kit includes, but you will need front springs, rear kit of somesort (springs, blocks, aals, etc) u bolts f/r, shims (some springs have shims already when you buy them, but rear usually needs to be figured out after the lift goes on), brake line extensions, raised steering arm and/or drop pitman, and/or 2" drop drag link. I used the 4" steering arm and let that be that, but i would recommend a drop drag link on top of it. If you have any more questions, ask here, PM me, or hit me up on aim: whatsstuckk5.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I purchased the body lift on Friday and will put it on next weekend. I am going to order the lift from summit in the next week. Tires will have to wait a while. I will try to post some pics of before and after. I purchased the truck 2 weeks ago for $1500. It was used as a hunting truck for 2 years. So far I have pulled the dents out, painted it to military spec (desert tan), changed the oil in both diffs, fuel filter, summit glass pack (for the asshole neighbors), and spark plugs. It's getting where I want it.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc25b3127cce810b0857355200000016109AbOWrRk2a6

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc25b3127cce810b085d355800000016109AbOWrRk2a6

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc25b3127cce810b084cb47900000016109AbOWrRk2a6

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you think ? Should I go with a 38",39.5",or 42" tires? The truck is an every day driver, any ideas about the tire that will get the most driving life and perform good offroad? What's the best for the least ammount of money? Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
16 Posts
I usaed to own a 86 chevy 3/4 ton with a 6-9 susp body lifts and I had 37 12.50 ssr's on it it would rub the fenders if I hit a bump hard with the wheels cranked. It was horribly under powered with the Realitivley stock 350 running propane and 700 r4 trans and 410 gearing.The guy I sold it too put a super charged 383 in it and is happier now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts