GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought some 2 way pioneer 4x6's for the rear and some 3 ways for the front of my 93 extended cab. . . Weeeellllllllll, I got the fronts in and they sound great, but when I went to go instal the rears, I cant get the back panel off. I asked an install guy from best buy and he said that once you take off that back panel, it doesnt go back on. He said and I quote "The clip to the back of the panel is plastic welded and once it is pulled off, you have to buy a new panel." So I was wondering what to do? I took the seatbelt off and the clouths hanger off and looked again and couldnt get it loose towards the back of the panel. Any reccomendations on what to do for speakers in the rear if i cant get the 4x6s out? Boxes with 6x9s? Let me know your input, thanks guys

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think he is full of shit myself, I have never seen a panel that would not come of some way or another and I have been doing it for a long time.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
5.3vortec said:
I think he is full of shit myself, I have never seen a panel that would not come of some way or another and I have been doing it for a long time.
you think that huh? If you've been doing "it" ,assumming installs, a long time, then you would know how to do these. Everytime we had to do rear speakers at the dealership for the OBS trucks we ordered a new panel and scheduled it for the paint booth to get it color matched to the rest of the interior. With that being said, you can do it, but its a royal pain. In order to do it you have to take out the panel under the rear window. I think you have to take it out from the bottom first and then push it up so the top clips come out and it might have some screws behind it that hold the side panels. Take out all the seatbelt stuff, along with the sill panels. After all that take the side panels out from the bottom so they can slide out from underneath the top panel. The top panel has some screws and clips that hold it in, but they are behind the side panels so..... and have a hotglue gun ready to redo all those little clips you WILL BREAK. Its been like 5 years since I had to do one so I might not be 100% but Ill be close.
and I work at Best Buy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, I am an installer.

And no, I have not done any obs rear speakers.

But my point is if it breaks coming off then how do you get it back on with out breaking it unless you do it right(removing all the panels like you just said.)

Not going into a flame war with you over it, If you still have something to say toward me PM it.

·
9,823 Posts
and btw, even doing it right, you still lose clips and break the points where the clips attach to the panels thats why I said have the glue gun ready. I just did a NBS yesterday and did the rear speakers. Even those clips break off and fall back into the panel if you properly remove the the dam thing! He is a friend of mine so he is cool with it ,but I told him if it becomes a problem Ill buy him new clips being as the whole bottom row and one on the top broke off
and this isnt a flame war

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Here's an alternative .. this is in my uncles truck and was like this when he bought it. The previous owner put some Eclipse 4x10's in the rear door compartments (the trucks only a 2 door, so 3-door or 4-door might be different). They sound pretty good even without an amp, lots of midbass.

Speaker in back compartment
4x10-1.gif

Speaker taken out (2 screws)
4x10-2.gif

Turned upside down
4x10-3.gif

Empty compartment
4x10-4.gif

Truck
4x10-5.gif

·
9,823 Posts
the 3 doors arent as bad, but arent easy. At least on the 3 door you can unbolt the rear seat and take it out without removing a front seat! Plus the right side panel is alot easier to remove but the left is the same ol pain in the ass

·
Registered
464 Posts
Those rear 4X6 speakers are hard to install, most likely you will break the panels, all the stereo shops here in my town don't gurantee they won't break the panels. Even when they are warm they are still brittle. If you got the room, go with some 3 or 4 way 6X9's, they will sound better anyways, I would, if I had the extra room.

·
9,823 Posts
Ive done 6x9s in a few and it looks like CRAP! You have to cut out the panel infront of the 4x6 and take it out. After that you have to trim down some 6x9 spacers to fit good with the panel and mount your 6x9s on that

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
xtreme93fullsize said:
I like bills idea, I dont really use those side compartments anyways. . . Thanks for all the help guys :D
If you already have the 4x6, you could mount those there, don't have to use 4x10s obviously. I've never really cared much for 4x10s myself as I heard the more you get away from round (this was before square woofers, traingular) the less bass responsce you got. Some old GM cars you had to use a 4x10 in the back though, the rear deck was VERY shallow. But all in in these 4x10s sound pretty good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I had 2 ways in the front as of this morning, but I went to best buy and got new 3 ways and put them in the front, so I have 2 sets of Pioneer 2 ways sittin in the garage and Pioneer 3 ways in the front. They sound nice, alot better set-up for the front. I need some rear speakers now though, my back ones dont work at all. Also I got a new Rockford amp today, its the 600wt punch series, its nice and sounds ALOT nicer then my POS American Pro amp. . . . Thanks for the help guys. New Head Unit Thursday!!! :D :D

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Im glad i don't have to deal with this in my truck...OOBS rules...lol...

·
9,823 Posts
xtreme93fullsize said:
got new 3 ways and put them in the front.........600wt punch series,
I have those in my 93 also, they sound way better than the 2-ways I had in there before. You got the new 4-channel, you mean the 4004 or was it a different one not from BB?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went with bills idea and made a mounting board out of MDF and covered it, Ill get some pictures soon. They sound really nice, I put those Pioneer 4640s in the rear and boy did that make a difference, I just got my new head unit the other day also, its a Pioneer P2600, made everything sound ALOT!!! better. . . Ill keep you guys posted. I think next is 2 JL W0s to replace my audiobahns, either that or W3s dont know yet, Ill let you know when money rolls around. . . lata :D

·
9,823 Posts
give the RF P2s a try. Ive hated RF till these came out, trust me on that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts