GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 C2500, 2wd, 8 lug wheels, 350 motor that needs a transmission. Can I use any tranny from a similar truck, or does it need to be exactly from a 2wd truck and 8 lug wheels? In other words, there are a ton of 4wd 6 lug wheel truck tranny's around, could I use one of them?

Thanks
Jeff

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
has to be a 2wd unless u take it to a trans shop and have them put the 2wd tail shaft assembly in,
this im sure about

it can be any lug pattern, 5 6 or 8 i think. im not exactly sure with the older ones, but i think they all came with the 4l60 i could be wrong though and u have a th400

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Don't stick in a used one, just get it reman.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Don't stick in a used one, just get it reman.
agreed. if you are having to outsource the installation of it (which my guess is you will) and you would have to pay a good chunk for a used trans, just pay a shop to rebuild it. worth the time and money.

and btw, it is a 4l80e in there.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
agreed. if you are having to outsource the installation of it (which my guess is you will) and you would have to pay a good chunk for a used trans, just pay a shop to rebuild it. worth the time and money.

and btw, it is a 4l80e in there.
learn something new every day, i didnt think they made the 80e that far back in time

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
x2 on the used. At the very least tear it apart and check it out before you go through the trouble of putting it in.

:speaksfromexperience:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I confirmed the bolt count on the pan and you all are right that its a 4L80E. I thought some 4L60E's were in the 2500HD's too depending on the motor (its only a 350). I was pretty sure it had to be 2wd (didn't know the tails could be changed, so that helps if a 4x4 deal presented itself), but good to know for sure. And since its the 4L80E, I don't think those came in 6 lug trucks so that takes care of the 6 vs. 8 lug question.

I assume I could use one out of a suburban, but did these come in 2500HD and/or 3500 Chevy/GMC vans of the same time period too, and if so, are they a straight swap?

Is there any changes that preclude using years? I know the 4L60 became a -E in '93, is there something similar I should be aware of when looking for a 4L80-E, or are they all the same?

I plan to do the swap myself, and this is a budget build for local hauling etc. I plan to just drop the pan and make sure theres nothing fishy in there, then fill and install... Hopefully I'll be able to get something for a decent price, and maybe get lucky enough it will still be in a truck etc. If a Van tranny would work, i might be able to get a complete vehicle for cheap and ensure its operating properly.

Thanks for all of your help so far!
Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts