GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having intermittent starting issues. Engine cranks over fine but not getting spark. Replaced the distributor cap, rotor and ignition module. Had the module tested at the auto parts store and they said it was bad. Still no spark (testing from coil lead to distributor). Sometimes however it starts fine. I went to test again for spark yesterday (before replacing module) and got spark form coil lead, immediately smelled gas in the throttle body. So I plugged the lead back on the distributor and she fired right up and ran fine. Went to recrank 15 minutes later and nothing, motor turned over fine but no start. I can hear the fuel pump running so I am pretty sure fuel is OK. Is there a way I can test for power/signal from the ignition switch to the module? I read one way to do it but you need some special thing for your volt meter to test thru the insulation while it is all hooked-up. Can you unplug something and probe with the volt meter for something. I don’t see any obvious wire damage anywhere, the truck does sit a lot but I crank it once a week and drive it around. Could replace coil I guess but hate to just throw money at the problem. Would a bad coil cause this type of problem? I had the ignition switch replaced several years ago when I could not shut the truck off. I have a volt meter and test light to work with. Not an expert with this stuff but can follow instructions. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts