GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 1999 Silverado and was wanting to do this mod. I purchased all the correct components to find out that the splines are different. Maybe not the newer model you did but did you run into this with the 1995 you did?

·
02GMCtruck
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a 1999 Silverado and was wanting to do this mod. I purchased all the correct components to find out that the splines are different. Maybe not the newer model you did but did you run into this with the 1995 you did?
The columns from 95-02 are all the same spline count and the steering wheels all interchange. Not sure what issue you are having.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That’s what I was thinking too. I can post a picture this evening of what I’m talking about. The spline on my steering wheel and column has 2 slots that are wider where they can slide into each other. But on the new steering wheel there is only one slot with in the spline.

·
02GMCtruck
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That’s what I was thinking too. I can post a picture this evening of what I’m talking about. The spline on my steering wheel and column has 2 slots that are wider where they can slide into each other. But on the new steering wheel there is only one slot with in the spline.
What year is the new steering wheel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It’s off a 2002 Tahoe. I got it from the junk yard. Once I realized this I went back and pulled a few more off of other vehicles and they also only ha one grove with in the spline.

The steering wheel I’m shooting for and the one I have is not the same as what was posted that has the controls on the sides. The one I have is the one that actually has them with in the steering wheel spokes.

·
02GMCtruck
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It’s off a 2002 Tahoe. I got it from the junk yard. Once I realized this I went back and pulled a few more off of other vehicles and they also only ha one grove with in the spline.

The steering wheel I’m shooting for and the one I have is not the same as what was posted that has the controls on the sides. The one I have is the one that actually has them with in the steering wheel spokes.
What you are describing is a 2003+ steering wheel, whatever tahoe you pulled the original one from would not have been a 2002 as 2002 had the same steeringwheel as what you currently would have.

The 2003 plus steeringwheels require the upper column shaft to be removed and replaced from a 2003 or newer truck in order to make it work correctly, as yes, the splines are different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see. Have you or anyone heard of anyone doing the shaft switch to a newer model? Just curious as to how big of a headache it’s going to be.

·
02GMCtruck
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've seen a few do it, it's as much of a hassle as you can imagine since you'd have to take the entire column apart on both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the instructions, I just about lost hope of doing this anytime in the near future without switching out the column for a newer year model, so I've got all of my wires connected and my buttons work and do what they're supposed to, the only thing I cant get them to do is light up, the dimmer is working and I've traced the power and ground to the buttons. I guess the lights might be out but is that something I can fix?

·
02GMCtruck
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the instructions, I just about lost hope of doing this anytime in the near future without switching out the column for a newer year model, so I've got all of my wires connected and my buttons work and do what they're supposed to, the only thing I cant get them to do is light up, the dimmer is working and I've traced the power and ground to the buttons. I guess the lights might be out but is that something I can fix? View attachment 869214
The lights are often times burnt out, you can fix them by taking the switches apart, but they can be brittle. The bulbs are soldiered on

21 - 32 of 32 Posts