GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey :read:

Im looking at upgrading the top end of my 95 gmc TBI engine. How ever im still up in the air with what to do.

I would like to upgrade the Cam, Lifters, etc, Chain, Heads, and intake.
Im sticking with the stock TBI and doing a few mods to it.

I think im going to get the Edelbrock cam part number 3702, any comments??
and go with the lifters and everyhthing through them.

Ive heard alot of bad things about my stock heads, so id like to possibly change to the Vortec heads off the 96 and up gms. But i need to find out what intake i can use so i can still use my stock TBI, or if there is any adapter plates for use with the edelbrock intakes for vortec heads.

ANy comments or information would be great!!!

Thanks
Brandyn :guns:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I havn't heard much about that cam, BUT, i've heard the Edelbrock 3704 intake manifold is a great option. Also you might consider a pair of L98 iron heads, they flow alot better than the TBI heads and they are a direct swap for the old ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whifflebat said:
I havn't heard much about that cam, BUT, i've heard the Edelbrock 3704 intake manifold is a great option. Also you might consider a pair of L98 iron heads, they flow alot better than the TBI heads and they are a direct swap for the old ones.
what vehical are the L98's commonly on??

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I can't remember, but they pop up on ebay occasionally. I want to say the TPI cars, but i'm not totally sure. Maybe 91_bowtie will chime in here, he's the local tbi guru..

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The iron L98 heads, casting number 083, came on TPI F-bodies. The aluminum versions, which came on vette's are not a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
brando said:
Hey :read:

Im looking at upgrading the top end of my 95 gmc TBI engine. How ever im still up in the air with what to do.

I would like to upgrade the Cam, Lifters, etc, Chain, Heads, and intake.
Im sticking with the stock TBI and doing a few mods to it.

I think im going to get the Edelbrock cam part number 3702, any comments??
and go with the lifters and everyhthing through them.

Ive heard alot of bad things about my stock heads, so id like to possibly change to the Vortec heads off the 96 and up gms. But i need to find out what intake i can use so i can still use my stock TBI, or if there is any adapter plates for use with the edelbrock intakes for vortec heads.

ANy comments or information would be great!!!

Thanks
Brandyn :guns:

What is your budget? If you can swing it, I'd go roller. I'm running the Crane 2030, and I love it. It pulls hard from 2000 on up to 5000, whereas the stock cam pulled a little bit from 1500 to 3000.

I would recommend the Cloyes roller chain part # 9-3100.

The heads are really where your budget comes into play. The cheapest, and most cost efficient route would be the iron L98's, casting #083. You should be able to find a set for about $200. Take them to a machine shop you trust, and have them go to work. Choose the right springs for your cam, and assemble the heads.

The Edelbrock #3704 intake manifold is the best option for you. It's only $200 new, and you can find a used one for about half that, if you really look.

I am not a fan of the vortec head swap on a TBI vehicle. It will cost you at least $1200, and that's only if you find deals on the parts you need. Then the result is a 30hp increase. You would need the L31 vortec heads ($400), GMPP intake manifold ($300), headers from a 96-99 truck ($400), tuning ($300), and the EGR pipe ($40).

Stay away from the Edelbrock #3702 cam. It is a waste of time. It's barely bigger than the stock peanut cam.

After you get the topend rebuilt, you will need to get it tuned to take advantage of all of the mods you just made. Alot of people have gotten good results from Wester's. You should also look into boring out the Edel intake and using a 2" TBI from a 454 truck. The main probelm with TBI is the lack of airflow, and anything you can do to overcome this will really show.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, Couple questions tho, The cloyes chain #9-3100 is for a non-roller cam, will this one work with the crane cam 2030 you mentioned. or do i need the clyoes 9-3145 instead.
what do you recomend for lifters for this cam, and i read that it needs 1.6 rockers? just curious what you have for lifters, puch rods, rockers, and springs.

What are you running for a computer chip?? im assuming you steped up from stock to something better, i have looked at a few different options but not sure what im gunna go with untill i find what im starting out with for motor parts.

The budget isnt really an issue, the lower the better obviously, the biggest thing is doing it right the first time, since this is my daily driver. Id like to get my gas mileage back and have some extra horses to play with.

Just to let you know if it makes a differance or not, i have already installed full length hooker headers, removed the cat's and am running true dual w/ equilizer h pipe, through flow pro mufflers. I also have a hellix power tower, Full MSD 6al ignition, blaster 2 coil, and 8.5mm msd wires. I havent done much with the air cleaner except removed the big ugley silencer to make room for the MSD. Thats another thing im looking at doing with this upgrade.

Oh yea, will the 2" TBI from a 454 truck bolt in, and work with the stock wires and computer??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The Crane 2030 cam is available in both; roller and flat tappet. I did't know your budget, so I assumed you would stick with the flat tappet.

My cam, lifters, springs, and rockers, all came from Crane. The 2030 does NOT need 1.6 rockers. If you're rebuilding the top end, I would suggest stepping up to a 1.6 roller, like the Crane Gold.

You shouldn't be choosing springs and rods until you know which cam and rocker combo you're using. Call the manufacturer of the cam and see what they recommend.

Mine is not properly tuned. I know it had alot more in it, but I didn't plan on keeping the truck, so I didn't want to waste the money. I could probably squeeze an honest 30hp out of tuning alone. Mine is a HD 3/4 ton, and I get 13 city and 15 hwy, if I keep my foot out of it. I'm running a 32" tire with a 3.73 rear.

For your air cleaner, I would suggest cutting a 4" hole in your radiator core support between the battery and the radiator, and running a section of tubing from there to a stock air cleaner from a 454 truck.

The 454 TBI is not a direct bolt on. You will have to splice in some of the sensors. You should also have teh intake bored out to accept the 2" TBI. Edelbrock will tell you that there is not enough meat on the intake to bore it out, but I have done 2, and never had a problem. Some of the early models even came with 2" bores, directly from Edelbrock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, :head:
Just curious, what are your comments on the cloyes 9-1100SP Timing chain set. ? for use on the crane 2030 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam? I think this is the cam im going to go with. Im also going to go with the iron L98 heads, what are the model numbers that you used for you Push rods, Springs, and Rockers?
Do you think the Stock Rockers and push rods will work fine ??

ALso what are some recommendations for Computer chips?

Thanks again!
:guns: Brandyn :ninja:

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
L98s were on the TPI camaros, firebirds ,vettes and others of the late 80s, early 90s

·
Registered
601 Posts
91_bowtie said:
The heads are really where your budget comes into play. The cheapest, and most cost efficient route would be the iron L98's, casting #083. You should be able to find a set for about $200. Take them to a machine shop you trust, and have them go to work. Choose the right springs for your cam, and assemble the heads.

The Edelbrock #3704 intake manifold is the best option for you. It's only $200 new, and you can find a used one for about half that, if you really look.
Where do you reccomend finding these parts??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
brando said:
Hey, :head:
Just curious, what are your comments on the cloyes 9-1100SP Timing chain set. ? for use on the crane 2030 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam? I think this is the cam im going to go with. Im also going to go with the iron L98 heads, what are the model numbers that you used for you Push rods, Springs, and Rockers?
Do you think the Stock Rockers and push rods will work fine ??

ALso what are some recommendations for Computer chips?

Thanks again!
:guns: Brandyn :ninja:
It'll work, but I would spend the extra $50, and get a better chain. Like you said, this is your daily driver and you want it to last.

springs 99838
rockers 10758-16

For the rods, I would call crane and tell them what you're doing. They should be able to help you out.

For the chip, I would contact Lyndon Wester @ Wester's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts