GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone could let me know what are some good mods to get some power out of my 5.7L Vortec. Kinda new to the truck scene. I've always owned cars and don't know much about V-8's...ohh wait don't know much about engines. Help! Who all has 96-98 body style on this forum?

·
Registered
199 Posts
AK_GMC said:
I was just wondering if anyone could let me know what are some good mods to get some power out of my 5.7L Vortec. Kinda new to the truck scene. I've always owned cars and don't know much about V-8's...ohh wait don't know much about engines. Help! Who all has 96-98 body style on this forum?
If what I was told is the truth, then your SOL. I have your truck, 97 GMC Z71 SLT ext cab 3 door short bed. Green and Tan with a tan interior. I love this truck. Its also going bye bye. I was told that the computer system on these last years of the OBS was closed. So unlike the earlier OBS which have computers but can be modified with chips and such, the last years are a problem. Which is why I got a 01. Now if I can just find a good home for my 97.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm never heard that before. I will have to look into it because if that is true i'm gonna be pissed off. My friend has a 98 Chevy Silverado and he's got a chip in his and he said you could feel the difference.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I Bought a Power Programmer for my 97 and I could Tell the difference in performance only prob. is that the thing only goes up to 34in tires. But a plus is that you can change the speed shut off from 100 to 128:flamingde I also Installed a cold air Intake (K&N) Then I got my exhaust done straight back from the cats.

·
Wal-mart sucks
30 Posts
i would go with power programmer, exhaust, cold air, electric fans, pullies (unless you have a powerful stereo system)

I'm sure that theres a lot more things that i'm missing, check out the performance section. You should be a ble to find some more info there.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
01Z71GMC said:
If what I was told is the truth, then your SOL. I have your truck, 97 GMC Z71 SLT ext cab 3 door short bed. Green and Tan with a tan interior. I love this truck. Its also going bye bye. I was told that the computer system on these last years of the OBS was closed. So unlike the earlier OBS which have computers but can be modified with chips and such, the last years are a problem. Which is why I got a 01. Now if I can just find a good home for my 97.

Never heard that. I think Allen ( the Nelson Tune guy) is working on something for the 96-98's. Definitly a good place to start from what I've heard. Also, on the *other* board, there is a guy with a tahoe thats making close to 475 hp with his 5.7 (mm...supercharger :drool:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Whifflebat said:
Never heard that. I think Allen ( the Nelson Tune guy) is working on something for the 96-98's. Definitly a good place to start from what I've heard. Also, on the *other* board, there is a guy with a tahoe thats making close to 475 hp with his 5.7 (mm...supercharger :drool:)
Of course this is just what I have been told. Also I may have overstated the case. I believe that while there are computer modifications that can be done, compared to new LS1 based engines the 5.7s have far fewer programming options. And I was specifically told that the 96-98 years were restricted compared to earlier 5.7s.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Earlier 5.7's had TBI, which....well, Essentially to make any changes whatsoever you have to burn a whole new chip and stick it in. I don't consider that easy to tune :anitoof:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh i did the MAF mod tonight. Drove it around a little. Seems peppier but i didn't really notice anything else. gas is more sensative. thanks for the inputs guys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
whats up man ? I just would like ur advice on an exhaust system. U said u had it straight back from the cats. How loud is it? Does it sound good. ? I have a 97 with a 350 and i am tryin to figure out what a good exhaust is. Id appreciate it. i want it pretty loud but not so loud that u cant have a conversation in the cab. THanks

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
How much money are you looking to spend to boost performance. Tuning isn't a problem on them....seems to be mildly overstated above.

If your tight for $ bolt on and intake/exhuast stuff is good but if you want more power you'll need to shell out some dough.
Also, on the *other* board, there is a guy with a tahoe thats making close to 475 hp with his 5.7 (mm...supercharger )
That's James B. He's got a stock 350 block with etec heads, whipple at above stock boost, modded whipple intake, gear vendors OD unit, carrol water injection, on and on and on. To the best of my knowledge he's got one of the most powerful first gen vortec motors around.

Cameron

·
Registered
78 Posts
way2hi said:
check out the free mods. It may not give ya alot of HP, but it's free. The intake mod is probally the best one on there.
http://www.sshotrods.com/performance/gmtruck/

Well, i think yall crazy cause i used to have a 97 with a few mods like K n N filter, duals, computer mods with a Hypertech, TBI spacer, and shorty headers and it would keep up and sometimes beat a newer body style camaro.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
I would venture to say that the person driving the maro either had no clue how to drive or it had a v6. While the mods you had do increase power it's not enough to beat an LS1 maro driven correctly....

Cameron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts