GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does replacingthe power steering gearbox ona 98 gmc 4x4 require any specialty tools my lil brother got hitand insurrance sint covering it i was goingto try and replace it myself theshop wants $600 i cant see it being all that hard and wanted to check here before he tells them to do it . i canget a used one for $110 and the shop is tellinghim you need specialty tools to remove the old one is this bs or what would i need to take it off and put it on. thanks everyone

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
there's 3 bolts holding it on to the frame.

Probably just have to disconnect the lines and steering shaft.

It will probably leak fluid everywhere but it is probably not too hard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No idea, but have fun. I did this just because one day I got curious, and it was sucha PITA! make sure you have a ll the seals. I got them in 3 bags, and after I opened the gear box and the bags I found out they gave me two of the same. Luckily I really only needed two orings which I sized at the local hardware store.

But anyway, take your time and be very careful not to lose any of the ball bearings. If you tighten the bearing preload down to the tirghtest specs you read, that will help out a lot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No specailty tools required. Three long bolts that pass through the frame rail mount the box. The pitman arm transfers the motion from the box to the steering linkages, and is typically a PITA to get out. Get a pitman arm or gear puller for this. Two fluid lines also connect to the box, as does the sector shaft coming from the steering column. The sector shaft connects to the input shaft on the steering box through a rag joint. During reassembly, it will take some trial and error to get the rang joing perfectly centered on the input shaft. If not, the steering wheel will be crooked while driving straight down the road. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts