GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DO IT OR DONT
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my balljoints need to be replaced bad , im very mechanically inclined so i figure i will do it my self but i have never done a z71 before. Im not worried about the uppers mainly because i have done similar ones before but the lowers are a different story.

I assume for the lowers i need to unbolt the half shaft and somehow press them out. Can this be done without undoing the torsion bars or do i have to ?

See if this sounds right.
Upper
Unbolt upper balljoint
grind rivets
Hammer it out.
Lower
Remove big nut
Unbolt lower balljoint
Remove spindle
Remove Half shaft
press out balljoint
press in new balljoint
Re bolt everything

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
You have to support the lower control arm VERY well. There will also be a snap ring holding your lower in. Remove that and pound out the old ball joint. You dont necessarily have to remove the shaft though.

·
DO IT OR DONT
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to support the lower control arm VERY well. There will also be a snap ring holding your lower in. Remove that and pound out the old ball joint. You dont necessarily have to remove the shaft though.

See thats what i thought but i was looking at this over at fsc and the guy didnt put a jackstand under the lca which is why im wondering if with the truck jacked up the tension is released?
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/334047-did-my-ball-joints-tierods.html

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
idk ive alwasy been taught to support the lower control arm. and i would assume those are stamped? idk though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts