GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the setup soon to be on my rig....the thing is, I have no clue what to go for as a high flow cat. I want something decent and not anything cheap and worthless. I'm goin all out this time around (I went cheap with my old ride and just got a muffler :crazy: ) Also, I've heard out here in California, that it's illegal to replace your cats if they aren't damaged. Is this true? Any way I can get around it? Or would anyone be able to tell or find out if I replaced ones that are functioning normally??
THANKS!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is illegal to replace your cats before 50,000 miles. Not to sure on the laws in CA though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
cant u poke a hole in the cat and then replace it ? ...

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I knew....but if it's that you can't replace them before 50K im fine....since I just turned over 83k
But does anyone have any idea's on brands for a decent cat?

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, adding all this without other engine mods.....You guys think I'm gonna lose all my bottom end due to lack of back pressure?? I plan on getting a supercharger eventually so I dont want to waste $$$ on a CAI in the mean time.....But I'll be a little bitter if I'm powerless in the low RPM's

·
Registered
169 Posts
On my '97 I had almost the exact same setup you are talking about. I didn't have very many mods and I didn't lose hardly any low-end power. The key to not losing your low-end is make sure not to go too big with your pipes. Mine were 2 1/2 all the way. Also put in an x- or h-pipe, that will also help. As far as cats, check with Jeg's, they have a good high flow cat for about $90. Hope that helps.

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure the x-pipe was after the cats correct?? I've only had one vehicle with an aftermarket exhaust so forgive me if that's a retarded question :crazy:

·
Registered
169 Posts
thedj75 said:
I'm sure the x-pipe was after the cats correct?? I've only had one vehicle with an aftermarket exhaust so forgive me if that's a retarded question :crazy:
That's right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts