GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99-06 Helper bag kit, mcgaughys or air lift or other?

Trucks lowered 4/6, what do you recommend? Pros/cons or basically the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the McGaughys bags on my SS truck... it’s lowered 4-6 right now... I really like them.. they make the rear ride even smoother than the front... I have actually towed a car trailer and my Buick Verano on it with this truck and had no problems... install was easy also since I have the McGaughys notch so it was pretty much bolt on...

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the McGaughys bags on my SS truck... it’s lowered 4-6 right now... I really like them.. they make the rear ride even smoother than the front... I have actually towed a car trailer and my Buick Verano on it with this truck and had no problems... install was easy also since I have the McGaughys notch so it was pretty much bolt on...
Thank you!! Just what I needed to hear! Do you have onboard compressor or use air pump when needed?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you!! Just what I needed to hear! Do you have onboard compressor or use air pump when needed?

I just use an air pump or pump air at the gas station when needed... I routed my pump needle Next to my fuel cap so people give me a weird look when they see me putting air with my fuel cap open

·
Burning Rubber
993 Posts
I used Air Lift Slam air kits on 3 of my trucks. All the kits work really well. I add a cheap HF tools 12v compressor that comes mounted on the mounting plate and bolt it upsidedown to one of the bed supports, on the outside of the frame rails via self tappers. Never had any issues mounting upsidedown. Then hardwire it into the factory fuse block under the hood. Add a 12v electric NC 1/4" solenoid, a 5 pin relay, and a Dual throw momentary switch inside the cab, next to an air gauge. I use the switch to ground the relay to run the compressor. The other side of the switch to groud pin 87a on the relay, which is also connected to the solenoid. You can tap into the relay pin 30 for the 12v feed that supplies power to the compressor, to supply 12v power to the solenoid. The solenoid doesnt need to have a dedicated relay, as it's low current. If you want to be real cheap, buy an analog boost gauge that reads up to 50psi, instead of an Air suspension gauge. They do the same thing, but big price difference.. Don't forget to factor in a few T-fittings in there. I want to say you'll need a total of 3 T-union quick connects, if you run the solenoid and compressor split to both sides... So all in all, The in-cabin control with the compressor, momentary rocker switch and air gauge can all be sourced for about 50 bucks if you know anything about a place that goes by the name Ebay or another named after a big river or something like that.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Chris!! Now to hopefully get the bracket bolts through my notch, forgot we renotched before so it’s pretty much plated lol

·
Burning Rubber
993 Posts
Thanks Chris!! Now to hopefully get the bracket bolts through my notch, forgot we renotched before so it’s pretty much plated lol

Just cut the ears off the upper brackets and weld the upper bracket to the notch. The hardest part on these kits is figuring out how to route the e-brake cable around the lower bag bracket, so there's no interference. Also make sure to run at least 5psi in the bags at all times, otherwise you can damage the bags. The new Air Lift bags come with a racket ball-type thing inside of them to prevent the bags from getting damaged from suspension compression when they're under inflated.

·
woo
215 Posts
I used an airlift on my NBS Silverado. Worked fine, pulled my pop up camper with them on it with no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts