GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes the radio will not shut off when you turn the motor off. It only happens intermitantly and I have to unhook the battery for a few hours and then everything is fine for a few weeks before it happens again. Any ideas would be appreciated.. :wtf2:

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
might be the relay for the retained accessory power. Does your have the thing where it keeps the radio on until you open the door? If so the relay might be dead. What does OBS mean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94flamds10blazr said:
might be the relay for the retained accessory power. Does your have the thing where it keeps the radio on until you open the door? If so the relay might be dead. What does OBS mean?
OBS is the old body style. I don't think it supposed to keep playing till the door opens, it never did before. I have a late model truck that does that but I don't think the OBS 99 Tahoe is supposed to do that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Man if I'm not mistaken my friends 99 Tahoe does keep all power until the door opens. Your relay might actually be starting to work...Hmmm
Either way check out that relay. As far as I know, it is the only thing that could give that result. I will call him and ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Golfboy26 said:
Man if I'm not mistaken my friends 99 Tahoe does keep all power until the door opens. Your relay might actually be starting to work...Hmmm
Either way check out that relay. As far as I know, it is the only thing that could give that result. I will call him and ask.
If your friend has the new body style it will keep the radio on till you open the door. In 99 they made both body styles.

·
9,823 Posts
i just saw that it was a hoe, that is the old body for the 99. I dont think those had the relays in them. Tell him to take a meter to the red wire behind the radio to see if its still on or if the radio is acting on its own

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Golfboy26 said:
I talked to him a little bit ago and I will admit my defeat. His does not have the relay.

Sorry for the confusion BLUBYU,

Kyle
No problem, appreciate the interest. I just thought someone might have had the same problem. I've never seen anything like it but I'll get it figured out.

·
9,823 Posts
like I said, go test it after you shut it off and see if it keeps power or if the radio itself is staying on

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an OBS 98 Suburban and that happens too! Sometimes I have to turn the radio off myself all it will play the entire night. It's moody though and lately it just plays for 3-4 minutes after the motor is off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts