GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day that i have a exhaust leak i pressume from the driver side manifold, it looks like there is a dowel pin in the rear hole, is this correct? Do these manifolds generally crack? Havent pulled it apart yet, if someone knows if there is a common flaw on them ill look there first, i am 99.9 sure that it is coming from the manifold...:bowtie:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, after close examination the rear bolt heads snapped off, on there own i pressume, it looked as if the 2nd from the back was loose, when i touched it it fell off to, so now what do i do, you guys think a good muffler shop can get them out in the truck, or is it a pull the heads job?:insane:

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
a good machine shop/welding shop or muffler shop should be able to do the truck. my uncle (welder/fabricator for 30+ years) removed the broken exhaust bolts from my brothers old truck with little hassle.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
Pull the header and grab some vise grips. Throw the vise grips on the broken bolt and turn. You don't need to worry about the threads if the heads are broken off anyway. Then just replace the broken bolt(s). Shouldn't be too much of a hassle I think; then again...I'm always wrong about this sort of thing.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'd spray the piss out of the bolt with some penetrant of your choice for a few days before then try the grips. If that doesn't work, hit the bolt with some propane heat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts