GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a bit of a hard question to answer but recently I've noticed a pronounced clunk when shifting the tranny into reverse.I checked the drive shaft and did find a bad u-joint on the pinion end but this did not cure it and from what I can tell it's in the trans but it sure sounds like the rearend has slack being taken up when the shift is made.It does'nt clunk when I shift back into drive or at least not as loud and from some reading I've been doing lately there seems to be some issue with shift solonoids in GM transmisions.Does this sound like it may be the case?Thanks.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
NBS Trannies are know for the sun gears going out...usually from going from reverse to drive before coming to a complete stop.

·
Registered
832 Posts
mine clunks the same way, even worse when on an incline or decline. My joints are fine, I just live with it, i guess ill know when whatever it is breaks finally.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Easy check for rearend is to park the truck and set the e-brake then put the tranny into neutral with the engine off. Crawl under the truck and turn the driveshaft and see how much it turns before the pinion hits the ring gear, this will give you an idea on your backlash.

·
previously USMC05
552 Posts
My 03 makes some tranny noises too! but it has to move 35"s

·
Gm truck junkie
3,657 Posts
my 04 does it too!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
mine does it, ive just figured to live with it, and when it breaks, ill fix it. but i may try that lil trick to see how much backlash i have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts