GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a damn door handle on my passenger side door on my tahoe. Does anyone know how to get the panel off? Ive tried prying it off but thought I would break something. Anyone done this or know how to do it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i did the same thing....theres little white retaining clips all the way around the panel, you just have to pry it off....dont be afraid to pull hard but then again try not to break them

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
first you have to take off the trim ring around the door handle. just use a flathead screwdriver to gently lift the clips from the inside of the trim ring that hold it on in the middle of each side. then remove the two screws that are inside the armrest/handle that you pull to close the door. after that, its easiest to start pulling the door panel away from the door in the middle of the bottom of the panel. then work your way up either side. once you have pulled out the panel from all the retainers, lift from the bottom of the panel about 45 degrees and slide the panel up off the lip that it rests on at the base of the window. to get the door handle off there is a small rivet that you will need to drill out, you can replace it with a screw later. after you get it drilled out slide the handle to the side and out just a little bit. there is then two thin metal bars that are snapped into two points, one to the handle the other to the lock. make sure you grab one section of the bar with pliers to hold it in place since you don't want it to drop down inside the door. i used needle nose pliers to pop the bars out of where they are snapped in, you have to kinda push on them at an angle. you should be able to tell once you get in there. after that just switch out the door handle for a new one and reverse the steps. im actually selling a set of door handles on ebay if you're interested. just havent gotten around to posting them yet :bowtie:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
appreciate the directions. sorry but i already got the door handle, just couldn't figure out how to get the damn panel off. thanks again.

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
no prob. its pretty easy once ya get in there.....i just kinda dove into it when i switched out my door handles, haha.

·
Big Member
1,310 Posts
thedj75 said:
first you have to take off the trim ring around the door handle. just use a flathead screwdriver to gently lift the clips from the inside of the trim ring that hold it on in the middle of each side. :bowtie:
Yea didnt have a skinny enough flathead...i broke them. Oh well, just 9.95 each at ckresto. Ill probably have to replace the handle soon on the passenger side here soon. Ill replace them then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts