GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wife drives a 99 tahoe (old body style) and about a year ago we decided to change the fuel pump just for preventative maintenance since it occasionally takes a trip from MO to ND. also her old fuel pump had started to run very loud, but always did worked fine.

My problem is that ever since the fuel pump was replaced we've had problems like having to crank it numerous times before it will fire up. also when it does run it'll chug when you step on it more than just a slow acceleration and when going up a hill it's barely pulling itself.

since the problems have started the fuel lines have been replaced, as well as the filter, pigtail on the pump, spark plugs and wires. also the shop had told her the fuel pressure was fine when running.

At the time I was working in ND and wasnt around to do anything myself, but now I'm back and would like to get this fixed so she can have a good running rig again! any input is appreciated!

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,254 Posts
What engine do you have? Do you have a CEL on?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
swap pump again?

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
faulty pump?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What engine do you have? Do you have a CEL on?
faulty pump?
swap pump again?
It's the vortec 350, no check engine light. and faulty pump would be my best guess but the shop seemed to argue whenever she suggested that, claiming it always turned on fine and always had good pressure. I'll most likely drop the tank and swap it but I figured I'd get some opinions before I get into a driveway project. just seems odd that itll work fine from time to time and other times it wont start and runs horrible. also refuses to start if it runs down to a quarter tank and below

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,254 Posts
I would pull the tank off and check to see if a baffle is broken off.

Its possible to have a faulty pump, just because it builds pressure doesnt mean it maintains during its complete duty cycle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new injector and distributor have fixed all the problems it seems. only issue now is idle jumping between 500 and 1000 when started warm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts