GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a 2/4 drop kit on my 1500. The rear is dropped using drop hangers and shackles. I want to go lower, using a flip kit. My question is what height will I be at with the flip kit and the front lowering hangers? I don't want to go lower than 7. Can I compensate by going lower setting on the shackles? Also, I'm trying to figure out which drop kit to go with.

·
Registered
654 Posts
A flip kit is 6" and a hanger is 2", unless there is a 1" setting.
6"+2"=8", or 7" if there is a 1" setting, and you'll be at 10" if you use both hangers and drop shackles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its on 03 Sierra 1500, short bed single cab. I thought about lowering leafs, but that just screws me five ways from sunday on pricing. If I do that I have to order all the other components individually, which puts the project over 650, without shocks or alignment cams, or a c notch. Right now a complete 5/7 belltech kit from jegs is 550. Right now the shackles I'm using have a choice in settings, including 1 inch i think.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
If you have the stock shackles I'd put them back on otherwise you would be sitting at 9" of rear drop. Hanger is 2", flip is 6" and thats sitting you at 8", you could reinstall your hangers and keep the shackle, but it would probably be easier to install a lift shackle if you didn't want any more that 7".

Good luck with more drop. I know how it goes though, its never low enough. I think its always better to go lower first since going back up seems to be cheaper rather than not going low enough the first time.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
flip kit with shackle on 1" hole puts you at 7"
Yeah but he has a hanger already installed, so a shackle at 1" would be 9" of rear drop

·
3,161 Posts
Jeff, you can't run more than 8" on a small notch unless you want helper bags or a horrible ride. So you would need stock hangers, 2" shackle and a 6" flip kit for 8" or 7" with shackles on 1" mark. You can't run hangers on a flip kit with stock shackles your pinion angle would be fucked.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Yeah but he has a hanger already installed, so a shackle at 1" would be 9" of rear drop
did i say anything about using a hanger to get to 7" no i didnt.
if he wants 7" obv hes gonna have to ditch the hanger.

keep it simple when you read. flip + shackle on 1" hole gets you 7"
i didnt say flip +shackle+hanger did i

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay everyone. I've come to final decision. I'm going to do 5-7 with flip kit. I'm keeping the drop hanger, and going wth a 1/2" lift shackle from belltech. Changing shackles is a hundred times easier than dealing with my hangers. Plus, the old hangers are no more, so they are not an option.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Okay everyone. I've come to final decision. I'm going to do 5-7 with flip kit. I'm keeping the drop hanger, and going wth a 1/2" lift shackle from belltech. Changing shackles is a hundred times easier than dealing with my hangers. Plus, the old hangers are no more, so they are not an option.
Jeff, you can't run more than 8" on a small notch unless you want helper bags or a horrible ride. So you would need stock hangers, 2" shackle and a 6" flip kit for 8" or 7" with shackles on 1" mark. You can't run hangers on a flip kit with stock shackles your pinion angle would be fucked.
:read:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay. So I can't run the flip kit. That has become apparent. I'm at 4" in the back right now. Tomorrow I'm going to square up the front with coils and spindles. I can get get 2 more out of the back with lowering leafs on the set up I'm running now, right? Keep in mind I no longer have my stock hangers. Running 2" drop hangers, 2" shackles, and 2" drop leafs will be okay, with no issues when it comes to pinion angle, correct?

·
3,161 Posts
I just sold my stock hangers to a guy with the truck I did a 5/8 drop on. You weren't fast enough. Yes that above combo mentioned will work. I hate lowered leafs, but they will work.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
did i say anything about using a hanger to get to 7" no i didnt.
if he wants 7" obv hes gonna have to ditch the hanger.

keep it simple when you read. flip + shackle on 1" hole gets you 7"
i didnt say flip +shackle+hanger did i
No shit you moron, I was just stating that he already has a fucking hanger, mabye you should read the whole thread before posting worthless shit that has already been gone over

Good day :read:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 (1500-4Door) chevy truck and I'm looking to lowering it. I want it pretty low but not sparking, even though I would like to. Suggestions with who and how far to drop? Heard the 5/7 belltech was good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts