GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my truck to a mechanic to look at the a/c. It runs and gets somewhat cool but does not get cold. Not even cool enough in 85 degree temps to be comfortable. He checked the freon levels and they were actually high so he got it to the normal levels. No leaks. He checked the filter and it was good but went ahead and replaced it. The compressor is running. Would replacing the dryer possible fix this or will i need to replace the condensor or is there anything else yall can think of that i need to look at? Also truck is a 2003 silverado 5.3L

·
Registered
333 Posts
im actualy having the exact same problem, mine has plenty freon but still when it blows its not cold. its not hot but not cold maby blowing 75 degrees? idk but i know it sucks.

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
I had this issue but only when traveling at slow speeds or stopped

Recently put it in efans and its much cooler! Last summer it wouldnt blow cool air till I was on the highway and now it blows cold air in the driveway. Check your clutch fan

·
official cat dragger
1,640 Posts
I had this issue but only when traveling at slow speeds or stopped

Recently put it in efans and its much cooler! Last summer it wouldnt blow cool air till I was on the highway and now it blows cold air in the driveway. Check your clutch fan

mine does this sometimes. Other times it blows ice cold air sitting at a stoplight, other times its better to roll the windows down.

I need to do the e-fans.

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Ok he checked the freon level but did he actually look at the gauges while its running? That will tell him whats going on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had similar problem in my 99 ac wasnt cold enough changed the cabin filter under the dash didnt know i had one but it was plugged up put a new one it got cold enough in the cab to get the girlfriends nipples hard after that. Dont know if this will help you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2000 Silverado RCLB was getting cold initially then dwindling down to just ambient air temps.
Checked the running pressure and it was to the low side of normal.
Sometimes it would do this and other times it would not, Shut the AC off for a few minutes and then turn it back on and BAM cold air again...

Found the High Side port leaking, will evacuate and replace that port and see what that does for me.

No signs of icing up...
Maybe the Actuator on the blend door getting flaky?

·
cunts
2,742 Posts
Sounded like the drier. If it weren't that it probably would've been the orifice filter.

·
Steaksauce
38 Posts
my 2011 silverado with less then 4k miles is doing the same thing:ninja: its sitting over at the dealership now getting fixed

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Hey Brandon, did you check the pressures in the A/C system? Mine is doing the same shit yours was, had it in the shop a few days back and he said everything was normal as far as pressures and freon charge go. Mine is cool, but not as cold as it should be. If I set the knob to 65 on auto, the blower is still on high w/ the re-circulate on after I drive 25 min to work. It surely should reach 65 degrees after that time period, especially when its only 80 outside. The guy at the shop obviously didn't take it for a ride, or even put a thermometer in the vent.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My 2000 Silverado RCLB was getting cold initially then dwindling down to just ambient air temps.
Checked the running pressure and it was to the low side of normal.
Sometimes it would do this and other times it would not, Shut the AC off for a few minutes and then turn it back on and BAM cold air again...

Found the High Side port leaking, will evacuate and replace that port and see what that does for me.

No signs of icing up...
Maybe the Actuator on the blend door getting flaky?
Mine's doing the same thing. If it is a leak, but it only does it sometimes does that mean it's not leaking every time? And how would shutting the truck off for a few minutes and turning it back on help. (This seems to make mine get cold again).

·
Read Only
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
81 Posts
So I took my truck to a mechanic to look at the a/c. It runs and gets somewhat cool but does not get cold. Not even cool enough in 85 degree temps to be comfortable. He checked the freon levels and they were actually high so he got it to the normal levels. No leaks. He checked the filter and it was good but went ahead and replaced it. The compressor is running. Would replacing the dryer possible fix this or will i need to replace the condensor or is there anything else yall can think of that i need to look at? Also truck is a 2003 silverado 5.3L
There is a safety precaution to keep from burning up the pump/compressor when the freon is low, the relay won't lock over but after you read it you have to jump the relay with a piece of wire to kickstart it and from there on it's fine as long as it keeps pressure and there is no leak. I just actually dealt with this on my 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 and this is what fixed mine...hope it helps

·
Read Only
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
81 Posts
There is a safety precaution to keep from burning up the pump/compressor when the freon is low, the relay won't kick over but after you regas it you have to jump the relay with a piece of wire to kickstart it and from there on it's fine as long as it keeps pressure and there is no leak. I just actually dealt with this on my 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 and this is what fixed mine...hope it helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts