GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come the conclusion that my A/C sucks. It's been in the high 80's here all week and I get in the truck to go to work and set both sides to 60 and get pissed off because it's probably only blowing 70 at the coldest. My question is how many of you have the auto climate control and how many have a bolt over billet grill? I took my grill off today to make sure it isn't lack of airflow over the condensor. I'll find out tomorrow if that has any effect. We have a van at work, 04-05 Chevy 3500 Express and that thing is cold as fuck, but it has the analog controls. I may have to take it somewhere and get it looked at. A/C work is so expensive though. Just a liitle rant

·
Registered
177 Posts
get some gauges put on your ac...you probably have a leak and need to shoot some more freon in there

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the truck to the dealer late last summer for the same thing as it was still under warranty and they replaced some valve that they said wasn't moving to the full cold position. Surely they would have checked the freon charge before tearing the dash apart and replacing the part I would think. They said nothing about it being low, but who the hell knows. I just have not had good luck with GM Air Conditioning systems. My finance's F-150 blows as cold on normal vent as mine does with the air crankin. It's sad really.

·
Registered
177 Posts
a few of my dads workers all had 04 GM trucks and they all had ac problems, dont know if it had to do with it being an 04 for some reason or just coincidence but go to a shop and most places will charge like 10-20 bucks to check the freon pressures

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
check ur a/c filter located under the glove box. mine had the same thing till i replaced my old clogged filter.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I think mine needs a changin to.... mine gets cold while driving but when sitting still U can tell it warms up a bit!! Idunno I usually ride with the windows down anyway!

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it not blowing hard or cold?
Today I hooked up a guage to see where I stood. The low side was around 40 and I had a problem hooking the high side up. The QD on the hose didn't want to lock on the fitting so my reading was way off, like 100 pounds shy of where it should have been given the ambient temp. I drove to work with a thermometer in the vent and it got to 55 degrees which I didn't think it would. But now when I push the re-circulted air button, it does not blow any harder like it used to. So I'm thinking it's cold enough, just not blowing hard enough. I checked the wiring diagram tonight and there looks to be a fuse under the hood so I'll check that tomorrow. Beyond that, anybody have any suggestions?

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,894 Posts
mine blows at 41* so you might want to look into not blowing cold enough again
I saw wehre you said you think your filter needs to be changed. On our trucks they dont have filters. Or atleast I couldnt find it when looking for it in the manual or tairing it apart. Take out your fan motor, its a couple screws. reach in there untill you feel your evaporator core. When i did mine it was so dirty it was like a mud inside. leaves dust pine needles ect. clean it with some 409 and low pressure from the water hose, just make sure your drain isnt pluged up. it should drain under your hood wehre the heater core input and output comes throught the firewall. Since I've dont this to mine it blows alot colder and harder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks for the tip bubba. ill deffinantly try this this week. and i would be willing to bet its pretty dirty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
cleaned out the evaporator core today and wow what a difference. it can now keep it cold in the cabin on the lowest speed in 90* weather. it blows a lot harder now too, and the temps dropped a good 4-5*. thanks for the tip

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,894 Posts
no problem man

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
so does replacing the cabin filter work on the 03's? should i just remove it and not replace it? nothing to get clogged then :)

mines not running that cold either

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
ok, where the hell is it? my haynes manual (which sux) just says to remove it when cleaning the evaporator core. its under the dash below the pass side airbag....do i take off that circle blower thing? or is it somewhere else? not really sure.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
ok, where the hell is it? my haynes manual (which sux) just says to remove it when cleaning the evaporator core. its under the dash below the pass side airbag....do i take off that circle blower thing? or is it somewhere else? not really sure.
u have to remove the black plastic trim underneath the dash by the passenger side then there is a metal bracket the hold both filters in. at least that my setup 02 sierra.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts