GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1997 K1500 and the a/c clutch does not engage. Ive tried jumping it and it still won't engage. Anybody had this problem or know what it might be?

·
Registered
452 Posts
are you sure you are jumping the right wires??

where are you jumping them at??

if all the wiring checks out using a multi-meter then there is a good chance it is the compressor it self or just the clutch

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah jumping it how

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont know excactly what its called but its located on the passenger side. I unplugged the low pressure switch and jumped it at the harness with a piece of speaker wire. Also when I just hooked up my recharge hose with a guage attached. The gauge showed no reading, but shouldnt the compressor still kick on with it jumped.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
dont know excactly what its called but its located on the passenger side. I unplugged the low pressure switch and jumped it at the harness with a piece of speaker wire. Also when I just hooked up my recharge hose with a guage attached. The gauge showed no reading, but shouldnt the compressor still kick on with it jumped.

Jump the compressor directly or at the main relay for it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
yes exactly what hit man siad
jump it directly at the relay but use a real piece of wire NOT speaker wire

if the clutch moves then its ok the problem is else where such as refrigerant, relay, pressure switch...etc

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Honestly if you're at this point (asking about jumping a relay), you should just take it somewhere.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Okay cool, well study up on basic relay function, get a Haynes + Chiltons manual, and see if they have anything on A/C. Then you'll be sitting pretty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from outside and tried to jump the low switch with the speaker wire and it didnt work. So I tried it with a paper clip and got the a/c clutch to engage. Question is.....what does this mean?

·
Registered
452 Posts
could be many things
you know at least now that the clutch is good and that the wiring is good

there could still be the possibility of the switch being bad or the relay, or anything else that is in input to the system not allowing it to come on too

there is also the possibility of there not being enough refrigerant in the system either

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
could be many things
you know at least now that the clutch is good and that the wiring is good

there could still be the possibility of the switch being bad or the relay, or anything else that is in input to the system not allowing it to come on too

there is also the possibility of there not being enough refrigerant in the system either

Exactly, throw some gauges on it and see what's up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts