GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to recharge their own A/C system? This isn't on my truck, but some other vehicles .. I figure I would need a vacuum pump to remove everything out of the system, Harbor Frieght has one for $15 and another for like $25 ... dunno if they would work good or not, then need the refrigerannt of course and the hoses etc to hook it up to charge .. anyone want to give any pointers?

·
Registered
601 Posts
R12 you need a license; R134a can be bought without a license. You should also have a recovery tank to properly dispose of the old stuff. Vacumn pump for $15-25?? I don't think that is an A/C vacumn pump. They run somwhere around $400. You also need a gauge set. R12 and 134a use different fittings, and 134a runs at a higher pressure requiring guages that go up that high.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jebx said:
Might be safe to say, typically you don't do things that you need a license to do without having that license.
I'm in the country, you can do whatever you want, :LOL:

Anyways I was just curious what it would take to do it yourself, I figured if you could invest $150 in tools, then you could do it for yourself, rather than paying $70-90 to someone per system to charge it. I've seen the Hi/Lo Manifold Gauge System for $75 and the nicer vacuum for $150 .. so it could be done. As for recovering the old stuff and not letting it into the atmosphere, where do these damn politicians think it's going if you have a leaky system and have to get it recharged every year? Into the atmosphere! Idiots :crazy:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jebx said:
R12 you need a license; R134a can be bought without a license. You should also have a recovery tank to properly dispose of the old stuff. Vacumn pump for $15-25?? I don't think that is an A/C vacumn pump. They run somwhere around $400. You also need a gauge set. R12 and 134a use different fittings, and 134a runs at a higher pressure requiring guages that go up that high.
You ever dealt with Harbor Freight? They sell tools and stuff cheap, but the Vacuum pump says its for A/C systems, I looked at some other sites about charging A/C systems and the pumps there ranged from $150-$250 ...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a robinair. It was $200 a LONG time ago (80's). I also have 2 guages sets, one R12 and one R134a. Essentially, the biggest issue might be getting your hands on R12 if you plan on doing any of those, otherwise yeah you could. I just wouldn't reccomend to most people that they do it themselves.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beyond Static said:
R12 sucks balls. Thats what my truck takes. My dad's got a big bottle of it though. heh. If you can find the R12, you'll pay over $100 a can
I remember when it was like 78 cents a can and you could get it at Wal-Mart :bawl:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jebx said:
I have a robinair. It was $200 a LONG time ago (80's). I also have 2 guages sets, one R12 and one R134a. Essentially, the biggest issue might be getting your hands on R12 if you plan on doing any of those, otherwise yeah you could. I just wouldn't reccomend to most people that they do it themselves.
There's a whole forum devoted to A/C systems at http://www.ackits.com .. they have some compressors for sale over there too this one for $181

And this one for $211

Guess you can find a forum for anything :crazy:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
03rado said:
harbor frieght is a good company to deal with my dad orders stuff from them all the time
Yep, we have one here locally, their tools are fine for someone like me, now a professional Mechanic, I can see the need for tools like Mac, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts