GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TCBCK
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined GMFS have to say awesome site very informative. I recently purchased a used 2000 GMC sierra Z71 ext. cab:head:. The air never blew that well and found on this site about cabin air filter, great damn thing to change for sure!! So now that I have changed that that a/c works freakn great (cold) for about 10 min. then it cuts out:biggun:. The compressor is working and all. It doesn’t matter if I’m idling or cruising on the road, when the cold stops its gone:flame:. I normally have to turn off a/c for about 5min then back on and works like a charm. Considering it's used should I get the fluid changed in the systems? Or buy a can of r-12 with a gauge and do it my self (what psi)? Is there a sensor known to go bad or what? Thanx for any help....Wakeforrest

·
Registered
350 Posts
You could have a few things wrong, do you have a set of A/C gauges? Also when it works for the first "10 minutes" what is the temp at the center most vent, a/c on max speed, and a/c on recirculation? It should be about 32-35F degrees... but I don't think you will see that. Im guessing pressure is getting too high and pressure switch is cutting it off and killing the compressor.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You could have a few things wrong, do you have a set of A/C gauges? Also when it works for the first "10 minutes" what is the temp at the center most vent, a/c on max speed, and a/c on recirculation? It should be about 32-35F degrees... but I don't think you will see that. Im guessing pressure is getting too high and pressure switch is cutting it off and killing the compressor.

Wow, someone else knows about AC work too! :rofl2:

ALSO, change your fucking cabin air filters.

It's a 134A system, most cars have been since about 1991. Please just don't start adding to the system until you test it out. Hell, you could have a bad fan clutch resulting is low/no flow at idle and the system kicking off.

·
PT.Net Member
195 Posts
Wow, someone else knows about AC work too! :rofl2:

ALSO, change your fucking cabin air filters.

It's a 134A system, most cars have been since about 1991. Please just don't start adding to the system until you test it out. Hell, you could have a bad fan clutch resulting is low/no flow at idle and the system kicking off.

He said he already changed the cabin filter :read: :crazy:

·
Registered
350 Posts
"Wow, someone else knows about AC work too!"

Hitman X what was that suppose to mean??

Also it is R-134A, and if you do get the refill can, don't get the stop-leak stuff. With the refill can you are limited to only the low side to its harder to diagnosis

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
"Wow, someone else knows about AC work too!"

Hitman X what was that suppose to mean??

Also it is R-134A, and if you do get the refill can, don't get the stop-leak stuff. With the refill can you are limited to only the low side to its harder to diagnosis

It's good. Most people just tell others to refill and see where it goes :rofl2:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well I guess it depends if you want to fix it, or just do a quickie and see how long it will work for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts