50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a problem with their clear corners getting all yellow-y on

the inside? Mine are starting to kinda go the way of not so much clear, but

almost...not clear. :think:

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Not yet their kinda still new. From what I've been told that any aftermarket lenses are not UV stabilized, they turn yellow caused by the sun and weather. I'm doing some testing with some UV stabilze clear to see if this will delay yellowing on these lenses.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I hear of this happening a lot after a year or two...looks like it might be time for you to get some new cheap ones on e-bay...all clear plastic used on cars and trucks will turn yellow after a while, OEM stuff takes longer than most aftermarket stuff...but it all turns yellow in time...

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Really no reason not to replace them too...i think u can get them for under $30 shipped off e-bay sometimes...that lil bit of cash isn't a big deal to me...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, that really sucks! Sure I can pick up some cheapies off ebay or something like that. But shipping overseas is a nightmare.

Example:

Me- "I want to buy some $25 (insert whatever) for my truck."

Ebay seller- "Ok, no problem. Where do I ship these too? California right? All you truck guys like buildin' your trucks in California...right?"

Me- Nope. You need to send 'em overseas. You can do that right?"

Ebay seller- (insert sound of cash drawer opening a few times) "Yeah! Oh hell yeah! I'll send these puppies to ya. They'll be there in about a week!"

Me- "Great! How much for shipping then for my $25 dollar (insert whatever)?"

Ebay seller- "Well since you live overseas I'm gonna have to charge extra for shipping and handling. And you're gonna want insurance right? So let's settle on a nice round figure...how's $80 sound to you?"

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
That sucks man. I know from experience being a shipping manager, size, weight and what the comodity is has a lot of factor in the whole purchase/shipping price. Plus getting certain items to pass thru customs is a bitch and can get costly. :bawl:

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
1buda said:
I'm doing some testing with some UV stabilze clear to see if this will delay yellowing on these lenses.
Let us know when the results come in from the lab :crazy:

Happens to all the clear corners, brand doesn't really matter much. If anything some take a little longer to turn a piss yellow. That sucks man, I didn't know you lived in Germany.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
El Padrote said:
That sucks man, I didn't know you lived in Germany.

Yeah, I grew up over here. When I was in high school and didn't have to pay for things like bills, food, gas...it was cool. Now it's just a waste of my time. I thought it would be like going home or something....now I hate it just like everyone else does.

I live out in farmland. :crap:

Always smells funny. :puke:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
c2ingram said:
Man, that really sucks! Sure I can pick up some cheapies off ebay or something like that. But shipping overseas is a nightmare.
Is it really that expensive to ship overseas, or are they just ripping you off? Have anyone in the states you could have them shipped to and then have them ship them to you in Germany at a better price?

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
bcubed said:
Is it really that expensive to ship overseas, or are they just ripping you off? Have anyone in the states you could have them shipped to and then have them ship them to you in Germany at a better price?
:word: That's insane what they charge for shipping :pissed: What city do you live in? And do you drive your truck on the autobahn?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:rant: :rant: :rant:

It's more expensive than shipping to the lower 48. Usually not by much, I was exaggerating for the sake of being funny. But most of the times it feels like the guys shipping it through APO/FPO, tack on $10-$20 bucks extra, just because they can.

The thing about shipping APO/FPO is...it's the same thing as shipping to New York, just with a different name. Once the package gets to New york, which is the military mail collection point, (I guess) it gets sent on a military "leased" aircraft and delivered to bases in Germany, England, Italy...you name it. You see, if we try to send it just to New York, and avoid the extra hike in (greedy) shipping charges, it takes an extra two weeks or so. Some have said it gets here faster, but for the most part it takes two weeks or even longer. And there's no real guarantee that it will arrive in my mailbox.

By the way, living in Alaska gets you the same thing. Which I can understand. It's almost like living in Hawaii, basically a really REALLY big island. So I would understand if you have to charge more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
00Silverado said:
:word: That's insane what they charge for shipping :pissed: What city do you live in? And do you drive your truck on the autobahn?

I live in Spangdahlem. Some little cow-town that smells like :crap: and has the average population of 5. :kidding:

Bitburg is right next door, it has more people and a more "city" like attitude. Some of you might recognize the name...and yes, I live right next door to the Bitburger Brewery. I can tell you it stinks like :crap: when they fire up the burners tho.

And yes, I do take my truck out for some autobahn cruising. Sometimes I just have to. And with gas the way it's going up...I'm going to have to find somebody to trade with for the day I go pick up my wife from the Frankfurt Airport. That's about a 2.5 hour drive in the truck. Only because I can't go as fast as I want.

I did make it back from frankfurt in an hour and 10 minutes once tho.... :read:

I think my average speed was around 110mph.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
What's your zip code or postal code, and the name of the town you live in. I still do have a few connections in the air freight business, I'll call around to see and compare prices on stuff shipped out to you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1buda said:
What's your zip code or postal code, and the name of the town you live in. I still do have a few connections in the air freight business, I'll call around to see and compare prices on stuff shipped out to you.

It's an APO box number that I have everything shipped to...mainly because I can never remember what the postal code is for where I live on the economy. But my zip code is 09123.

You rock man, thanks. :worship:

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
c2ingram said:
It's an APO box number that I have everything shipped to...mainly because I can never remember what the postal code is for where I live on the economy. But my zip code is 09123.

You rock man, thanks. :worship:
Now what's the name of the town/city you live in? Is it this:
c2ingram said:
I live on the economy
Shipping to a APO can be only shipped from the U.S. to Germany thru the US Postal Service. I used to ship packages to Ramstein AFB only using USPS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No kidding :cool:

So if you send it to Ramstein through USPS then wouldn't the package just go to my APO box? Or do they give it to somebody else (Like UPS in the states) that transports it to my actual physical home address?

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
c2ingram said:
No kidding :cool:

So if you send it to Ramstein through USPS then wouldn't the package just go to my APO box? Or do they give it to somebody else (Like UPS in the states) that transports it to my actual physical home address?
1) Yes
2) Yes

I think it would be cheaper for you if you had packages sent directly to your home address. I'm going to make a couple phone calls tomorrow to see who has the best rates.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would be great. Thanks a whole bunch. :head:

I'll go to the post office tomorrow in my little town of Speicher, and find out what the postal code is. :shake:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry 1buda, I was dead tired after work this morning. Absolutley did NOT want to do anything but go to bed. But instead I finally, FINALLY :rockon: got the amber out of my headlights. Took me about an hour, but I got them pried apart just enough to slip them out.

The bastard who had the truck before me must have done the same thing, because he used about 10 pounds of glue to seal it back up when he traded it in. I wish I could post some pics of the crap I went through for it. But it was all worth it in the end.

Now all I need is that billet grill I'm bidding for off ebay, and the front end will be all good. :read:

......and some new clear corners...... :D

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
No problem. I haven't been able to contact anybody yet today I'll try again tomorrow. What year, model is your truck? I just might have someone local here that sells the clear corners.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts