GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably gets asked all the time, but.....

1. about how much $$$ would I be looking at to get an Airbar out back, Coolride up front and everything else thats needed along with installation by a reputable shop? Are there package deals? Any good shops in the Houston/conroe area?

2. could I even use bags with 20's with 275/45's ?

3. what about tire wear/alignment? Obviously the alignments never perfect but can you have a preset ride hight that would give you decently even tire wear?

4. can you raise it up to stock height or above? This would be nice because sometimes the streets flood here with about 6" of water or more.

I know very little about airbags, but I've heard it gives you a better ride then anything out there and it would be fun to have the option of any ride hight. I dont care about laying frame or even close, but would like the great ride and to be able to go down pretty low.

Thanks

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
O3GMC said:
I know this probably gets asked all the time, but.....

1. about how much $$$ would I be looking at to get an Airbar out back, Coolride up front and everything else thats needed along with installation by a reputable shop? Are there package deals? Any good shops in the Houston/conroe area?

2. could I even use bags with 20's with 275/45's ?

3. what about tire wear/alignment? Obviously the alignments never perfect but can you have a preset ride hight that would give you decently even tire wear?

4. can you raise it up to stock height or above? This would be nice because sometimes the streets flood here with about 6" of water or more.

I know very little about airbags, but I've heard it gives you a better ride then anything out there and it would be fun to have the option of any ride hight. I dont care about laying frame or even close, but would like the great ride and to be able to go down pretty low.

Thanks
According to www.ridetech.com the airbar for you is:
ABAR11007
(includes our C notches)
$1,599.00
And a coolride kit for you is:
ARF5007 $549.00
You'll neeed to add some form of air management system to that so you'll be around 3k-3500 in parts roughly....probably 4k-4500 installed...just my guess.

Those are of course air rides prices direct but if you call someone like Larry @ http://www.innovativeairsuspension.com/ you'll get a much better price and he'll hook ya up with a nice air management system as well. He's a really good guy tio do biz with.

You can use bags with that combo but you'll probably need to do some inner fender mods if you wanna lay frame up front.

Alignment isn't an issue. When you get the stuff installed have it aligned at your prefered ride height and tire wear will be normal. Any long running below of above that pressure will cause some wear issues. Really though, choose your ride height and make sure you drive it there %90 of the time and you'll be cool.

You won't be able to hit stock height but you'll get close and get high enough to deal with what it sounds like you may run into. The concern I see would be valve and air system placement. Usually that stuff goes under the bed and having exposed electrical components could be problematic in some flood conditions. Maybe you'd want to bed mount that stuff to avoid it. One benefit to getting all ART stuff is that it's all got waterproof GM stlye connectors to really minimize those problems.

Airride will get you low and when installed CORRECTLY and by a good shop the ride is adjustable, problem free, and very nice.

Cameron

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I was thinking about going with the same bolt on Air Ride too. But I could also get a fully custom one for around that same price. I wasn't wanting anything drastic. Prolly leave my stock fendes and not cut the bed. The shop that does it is pretty good. But which is the best way to got? Bolt on or Full Custom?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
03Carbondogg said:
I was thinking about going with the same bolt on Air Ride too. But I could also get a fully custom one for around that same price. I wasn't wanting anything drastic. Prolly leave my stock fendes and not cut the bed. The shop that does it is pretty good. But which is the best way to got? Bolt on or Full Custom?
You can't get much better than ART stuff but it costs. Some of their stuff isn't bolt on if you wanna lay out...for instance their AirBar kits don't lay out of the box. They are sold with a notch BUT can lay out with a step notch and relocation of the panhard frame mount. Custom is totally cool too if it's done but a competant and smart shop....installation is key in either case but even more of a factor in a non kit installation.
03Carbondogg said:
Hey Physh1 you about through with your truck?
Paint starts next week :rocking:

Cameron

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
03Carbondogg said:
I went with ART cause A) there are no shops here, unless you need a toolbox and mudflaps and B) it was the most "do it yourself" out there.

The Cool Ride with upper and lower arms was $999. The arms were pretty straight forward, the only cutting was to make clearance around the bag, and the shock mount was already made onto the LCA. I got the Ride Pro Air System $699 but now sort of wish I went with the Big Red .. it does the job, but you definately wouldn't ever want to go any smaller. For the back I looked at the ART Air Bar, but after listening to these guys will go with the KP Componnents 4-link and Cantilever setup .. all that is in the works in hopefully a few months.

I have no plans to cut the bed or the front fenders, in the front I lay out pretty well, the tires (245/40-20s) stay perfectly flat on the ground (do to the control arms) and the crossmember (I have the big one) is just kissing the ground.

I can't judge ride quality yet because my rear suspension is basically sitting on the rear bumpstops and it makes the ride harsh at times, when I get the rear done I will be able to give my opinion on the ride.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Oh yeah I know ART makes some pretty good stuff! I'm gonna think about it for a while. It will be a little down the road before I do anything though. The shop that I'm wanting to do the install is pretty top notch. They have done two of my friends truck, which are members on here too. Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
bcubed said:
I went with ART cause A) there are no shops here, unless you need a toolbox and mudflaps and B) it was the most "do it yourself" out there.

The Cool Ride with upper and lower arms was $999. The arms were pretty straight forward, the only cutting was to make clearance around the bag, and the shock mount was already made onto the LCA. I got the Ride Pro Air System $699 but now sort of wish I went with the Big Red .. it does the job, but you definately wouldn't ever want to go any smaller. For the back I looked at the ART Air Bar, but after listening to these guys will go with the KP Componnents 4-link and Cantilever setup .. all that is in the works in hopefully a few months.

I have no plans to cut the bed or the front fenders, in the front I lay out pretty well, the tires (245/40-20s) stay perfectly flat on the ground (do to the control arms) and the crossmember (I have the big one) is just kissing the ground.

I can't judge ride quality yet because my rear suspension is basically sitting on the rear bumpstops and it makes the ride harsh at times, when I get the rear done I will be able to give my opinion on the ride.
That's another reason why I maybe want to go ART cause of the do it yourself. Me and friend could install it no problem and I could save some dough with labor costs.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
personally, i wouldn't buy ART stuff. It just costs way to much. And for it being the best... SOme things they probably are. Bolt on systems they probably nail it. Their shockwaves are horrible. I know someone that had 2 of them blow out on the high way. To say the least, it fucked up his truck.

For the rear, i'm gonna sound like a broken record, but get the KP canti. Ridden in a truck with the air bar set up, the KP kicks its ass. And its alot cheaper too. Paid 800 installed with bags for my KP 4 link canti.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
And its alot cheaper too. Paid 800 installed with bags for my KP 4 link canti.
How'd you get it so cheap? The 4 link and canti alone are over $900 on the KPs site.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
Their shockwaves are horrible. I know someone that had 2 of them blow out on the high way. To say the least, it fucked up his truck.
Yeah it's the parts. It couldn't be installer error or abuse could it ?
I have ran shockwaves on my truck for a couple years. Mine were installed by Innovative Air, so I know they are right. And they ride and handle great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
bought it through EAI... DIdn't pay for the KP name...

A little inside industry news for you.... EAI, which is the Hack Shack, used to be KP dealers. They took KPs designs to another manufacture ( I forgot the name, but it is a 4x4 lift manufacture ) to copy it. Is the quality the same ? Copies rarely are. Their copy of the fullsize chevy kit might be ok, but their copy of the chevy kit that they sell for dodges is probably way off. The Hack Shack has never been known for quality.... or caring for their customers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts