GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let's see here, a few different subjects, but I figured that I'd make one consolidated thread instead of a few different in different subforums.

-My truck has been running really slowly lately, with an SES light on, will the dealership or an independent shop be able to tell me anything that Autozone's free code reader didn't? It was the knock sensor code, I had that code, replaced the sensors, and then about a week later the code came back up.

-What is a good brand of long tube headers, how much money do they usually run, how involved are they to install, and how noticeable is the performance difference?

-See above, but for cams.

-What cheap black steel wheels are out there? I want some possibly with that fake bead lock around the edge. The only place I can think to search for these is 4WheelParts' website?

Thanks in advance guys, I might have a few more questions that I just can't think of right now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
In reply to some of your questions, when the SES light came back on it was for the same code correct? If it came up twice I would take it to a stealership or an independent shop. I wouldn't mess with it on my own at that point.

Headers, lots of posts on here about LTs, shorties are crap. expect to spend at least 500 on the headers and y-pipe. I ran Hamm headers, which are hard to find since they quit making them. A good portion of the guys here run pacesetters. They are good but there are better ones if you have the $$$.

Cam: cant really tell you anything with out knowing what you are using the truck for, i.e race, towing, commuteing. In the engine and performance discussion there is a post on the Cam Thread. Lots of good info there.

For cheap wheels go to an auto parts store or tire shop. I used to work at Pepboys. They can order all of the cheap wheels you want.

There is alot of guys out there with good info, alot of it has been posted time and time again. good luck.

Ok let's see here, a few different subjects, but I figured that I'd make one consolidated thread instead of a few different in different subforums.

-My truck has been running really slowly lately, with an SES light on, will the dealership or an independent shop be able to tell me anything that Autozone's free code reader didn't? It was the knock sensor code, I had that code, replaced the sensors, and then about a week later the code came back up.

-What is a good brand of long tube headers, how much money do they usually run, how involved are they to install, and how noticeable is the performance difference?

-See above, but for cams.

-What cheap black steel wheels are out there? I want some possibly with that fake bead lock around the edge. The only place I can think to search for these is 4WheelParts' website?

Thanks in advance guys, I might have a few more questions that I just can't think of right now.

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In reply to some of your questions, when the SES light came back on it was for the same code correct? If it came up twice I would take it to a stealership or an independent shop. I wouldn't mess with it on my own at that point.
Yep, same code.

Thanks. :shake:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Aren't you on 285s? Regear before a cam. 4.30:1 or 4.56:1

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump.

Also starting about two days ago it makes this sort of squealing sound while running, I thought it was the belt so I put some belt dressing on it...still the sound persists. :think: Any ideas?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah if you're mechanically competent, you can do gear. I'd replace that G80 POS too. you're looking at about $1k all said and done... but expect huge gains in acceleration and even some in economy as the vehicle is back in the power band.

I'd do headers/cam later if you still end up with the truck for a longer period of time.

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replace the G80? That sounds like a lot more work than I'm interested in. Gearing is basically what, drain the rear end, open it, replace the gear, put it back together?

Any idea on the squeak? It seems to be getting rapidly worse.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Yes, but you need some specialty tools and know how to make sure the gears are set up right. Otherwise you'll burn through gears until you get it right.

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And how much for a shop to do it? Or is it easy?

Ok, here's a question I forgot:

How do I remove the bumpers? I tried this a few years ago and couldn't get the front valence or the bumper cap off...the rear is pretty obvious but the front is a little tricky.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just call me dude. :imo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts