GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so ill be returning from afghanistan in about 3 weeks and im looking for a little advice. I have an 06 crew cab with the 4.8l in it and thanks to my loving wife its been sitting with the battery dead since december. Just looking for some recomendations on where to start looking for any other potential problems before I get it back on the road again.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
My truck sat like that for about that long...not a big deal.

Charge the battery (better than jump starting), fire it up, and don't worry if it runs rough or stalls. Drive it a couple hundred miles and that'll clear up.

If you live out in the woods you might want to eyeball under the hood and under the truck for nests/pest damage - mice, bugs, etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
^werd. my 94 sat for 2 years (grandpas truck, sat that long after he died til i started drivin it) charged bat, fresh gas/oil/coolant, ran like shit for about 20 mins, havent had a prob since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input guys. I already planned on doing an oil change first thing and maybe put some sea foam in the gas tank since it "suppose" to get rid of water. Just was looking to see if there could possibly be any real danger in it sitting that long.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Seafoam is an awfully expensive way to take care of water in the gas tank. There shouldn't be any (if there is then you've probably got some problems) but if there is you can use alcohol...either make sure the gas you buy is E10 or put some Drygas in.

Save the expensive Seafoam for something more direct.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I really dont figure there is gonna be water in it. Its just a time tested thing I was taught a long time ago by my dear old dad. You said alcohol? Im curious to hear more about that because Ive never heard anyone say anything like that.

·
Banned
6,337 Posts
My dad has always ran alcohol. 91 Silverado with 310k miles, no rebuild. I assume it did the trick and caused no issues so far!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok but what kind of alcohol are we talking about here. I know I sound dumb right now but I really have no idea what you guys are talking about.

·
Blue on Black
158 Posts
Where abouts in Afghanistan are you? I'm also getting ready to come home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ohhh ok. ive seen that heet stuff before and never really paid much attention to what it was. thanks for clearing that up for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts