GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into a set of 03/04 tails and noticed some have a dark perimeter and some have a red perimeter.........is that a year thing?
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
bigb said:
thanks.......other than that are they the same?
Other than you can't use your 99-02 wiring harness as it only has provisions for 3 lights, where the 03-04s have 4 lights. You'll need a harness as well as the lights.
 

·
I'll Take teh Case!
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
Yes, other than the trim, both years are the same setup. If you order from GMPartsDirect (or the stealership) the harness will be included. If you grab a pair from ebay or such, try to make sure the harness is included. Having the harness makes the conversion very simple (just plug and play). However, your stock harness can be modified, but I'm not exactly sure what all is involved. I think someone on here has done it before...:think:
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
Badassilverado said:
Whoa, the old man beat us to it :pow: :D
I've been hooking and unhooking tail lights alot :lol: ... the aftermarket ones I got dont have the little clips to lock the lights in, but they seemed to go on tight enough.
 

·
GolfnBeer
Joined
·
668 Posts
hey guys I just bought some 2004 tailights on ebay but didnt get a harness..I have a 2000 gmc and was wondering were to get the wiring harness, I looked on gmpartsdirect but I dont have a part# and dont want to go to a dealership...
 

·
I'll Take teh Case!
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
christayse said:
hey guys I just bought some 2004 tailights on ebay but didnt get a harness..I have a 2000 gmc and was wondering were to get the wiring harness, I looked on gmpartsdirect but I dont have a part# and dont want to go to a dealership...
I use to have a part number for the harness (but I don't think it was correct). I can't confirm it, but I think the harness is not sold seperately. The best way to check is to get a VIN from an 03 or 04 Chevy, and call up the parts department and ask them to look up the price and p/n. From there, you can either buy from them or buy from GMPD (if you get the p/n). If not, you can always search ebay some more...
 

·
GolfnBeer
Joined
·
668 Posts
I just got off the phone with GM the part # is 88986854 and there $33 bucks for each harness at gmpartsdirect. thanks guys for all your info :shake:
 

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
so if you have an 03+ GMC, the taillights are just a plug and play kinda deal? also, does anybody have some pictures of the difference of the 03 & 04 lights, ive never noticed before...
 

·
I'll Take teh Case!
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
04HEMI said:
so if you have an 03+ GMC, the taillights are just a plug and play kinda deal? also, does anybody have some pictures of the difference of the 03 & 04 lights, ive never noticed before...
I think any 99+ Chevy/GMC the new harness will slide right in the old spots and work.

Here are some pics:

03


04

(Some dude's truck off Cardomain)

It's hard to tell in the pics, but the only difference is the on the 04s the trim around the edge of the light's housing is black, while on 03s it is a lighter red (blends in with the rest of the housing).
 

·
Jason RIP
Joined
·
6,062 Posts
jboomer said:
i got lucky, i told my friend that it would be cool to have the 04 taillights, so that night he decided to go to the dealer and just cut off the tail lights with all the wires(i couldnt believe he did it.). im not sayin thats the best way to do it but it was the cheapest. but i was happy he did it!
:badidea: :down:
 

·
Changed my life
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
jboomer said:
i got lucky, i told my friend that it would be cool to have the 04 taillights, so that night he decided to go to the dealer and just cut off the tail lights with all the wires(i couldnt believe he did it.). im not sayin thats the best way to do it but it was the cheapest. but i was happy he did it!
So by saying "you got lucky", you put the lights on your truck?

Nice, receiving stolen property rules! :pow:

:scum:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
i didnt ask him to, he just brought them over then after i installed them, he told me where he actually got them from.
 

·
I'll Take teh Case!
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
jboomer said:
i didnt ask him to, he just brought them over then after i installed them that day he told me where he actually got them from.
Do all your friends just all of sudden give you stuff for free? Like $200 worth of taillights?

:nono: Stolen merch. :down: Higher prices for us all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
actaually im not even friends with him any more because of simaliar reasons with steeling.
 

·
GMFS founding member
Joined
·
4,010 Posts
jboomer said:
i got lucky, i told my friend that it would be cool to have the 04 taillights, so that night he decided to go to the dealer and just cut off the tail lights with all the wires(i couldnt believe he did it.). im not sayin thats the best way to do it but it was the cheapest. but i was happy he did it!
send him over my way, i have a truck he can steal :D
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top