GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I just bought my first gm, I traded in my 2011 subaru STI for a 2014 GMC Sierra reg cab Z71
I live in the mountains so I need 4wd but I want to lower my new truck
I'm going out today to look for a lowering kit, All I can find are kits with 2/4 drop and I was wondering if I can go 3/5 ? I know it's only an inch but girls say every inch makes a difference hahaha.
Does anyone have a 4wd lowered 3/5? Does it drive smooth? Any issues? What kit are you using?
I plan on leaving the stock 20's for now till summer but after I'd like to put on 22's.
I'll be honest, I'm brand new to the lowering a truck thing and im not very mechanical.
Any advice would be be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Rollin Stoned
93 Posts
I have lowered a few 4x4 chevys at work but they have only been 2/3 and 2/4 drops. I have seen 3/5 on a 4x4 but dont have any info how it rides.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 4x4 that I lowered to a 3/5, if you use the 2" Mcgaughys spindles with the Belltech adjustable struts it rides pretty damn smooth even on a 295/35R24. Out back I would use a Mcgaughys flip kit & lifting hangers with Belltech Nitro 2 shocks.
I think a 4/6 would max out your front drive shafts.
With a stock 20, you should have room for a nice size tire which will give you a good ride.
Hopefully this helps a lil

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Since 2wd and 4wd have shared the same suspension since '07 you can lower it just as much and as easily as a 2wd. The only issue might be the CV's but I don't see it being any worse than lifting it, so a little angle on them won't hurt.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I had no luck today finding a shop that lowers trucks but I'm going to keep looking Monday.
I'm pretty excited that I can go a little lower then I originally thought.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since 2wd and 4wd have shared the same suspension since '07 you can lower it just as much and as easily as a 2wd. The only issue might be the CV's but I don't see it being any worse than lifting it, so a little angle on them won't hurt.
he is correct i have an 08 z71 and im lowered 4/7 with no issues

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the conformation 98silveradoking, what size wheel and tire are you running? And you running 4/7 didn't require any driveshaft mods?
Just curious as to why none of these companies that sell lowering kits list 4wd as an option for a kit that's more than 2/4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
im running stock 18 with a 265/65/18 for now. gonna be upgrading wheels soon. i do rub the front fenders a little on hard bumps or a full lock. and no mods, i put a transmission spacer in it and nothing else. no shims, never had any vibration issues or anything. i believe the new silverados sit higher stock so i dont think rubbing should be an issue for you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little update today
So I was all set to order the belltech 988sp and thought I'd stop at one last place that does mostly chevrolet tuning of vettes and Denali trucks. The guy was super nice and what he told me was he had talked to belltech at sema and that they will be releasing an updated lowering kit for aluminum control arms in the new year and I shouldn't order the 988sp as its not really meant for a 2014 z71.
Does this gentleman just have outdated info or is this true? Will the belltech kit not work for my Z71?
I'm going to email belltech tonight and see what they've got to say but I figured I'd just pose the question here as well as someone here might already be using this kit with no issues.
I don't want to order the kit and have a shop try to install it only to find out it doesn't fit or worse, they just try to make it work and send me on my way with something shoddy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I had a technical advisor email me back
First he says they haven't finished testing on the 2014 4wd, then says says fitting the 988sp kit can be done at my discretion. He also said they are aware of a different spindle in my truck but does know the differences between it and the old one and to keep checking their website. I woulda thought that a company like belltech would have figured something out after a year already.
I'm unsure which way to go now.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I keep vaguely hearing of a new spindle from Belltech, but haven't seen anything hit the market yet. I'm guessing it's delayed more for patent reasons but who knows that's only speculation...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Boomer, I just had a look at his pics and asked him what he's got for suspension. Hopefully he's not the secretive type.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well he had a link to Facebook with pics of a mcgaughys kit and it said 3.5/6 drop is what they did.
I am going to get an answer from switch suspension tomorrow as to how I can lower mine even with 4wd.
Looks like mcgaughys is what they're recommending as well with the exception of the spindles that won't work with my aluminum control arms.
Super helpful guy I talked to willing to piece together a kit for me, hopefully it all works out and I can order something soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ordered some rear lift hangers, rear drop shocks, an axle flip kit and front drop struts so here's hoping these are the right combination for me.
If it rides like crap itll have coilovers by summer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The problem is GM keeps changing the upper control arms across the platforms especially the Z71 trucks. I have a truck in the shop that should have aluminum uppers and the longer Rancho Struts but it doesn't lol. Like said before, the 2wd/4wds share the same suspension so you could essentially use any lowering kit available for your truck. One idea to note is that if you have aluminum control arms, the aftermarket spindle is cast steel typically, which would lead to a premature corrosion between the two various metals. Since you live in the mountains, this is something you may need to consider. I have McG kit on my truck and personally love the ride even on 24s and I know they have the spindle kits for the 14+ GM trucks. If you are set on doing 3/5, I say go with the McG spindle, belltech lowering strut and the McG flip kit.

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem is GM keeps changing the upper control arms across the platforms especially the Z71 trucks. I have a truck in the shop that should have aluminum uppers and the longer Rancho Struts but it doesn't lol. Like said before, the 2wd/4wds share the same suspension so you could essentially use any lowering kit available for your truck. One idea to note is that if you have aluminum control arms, the aftermarket spindle is cast steel typically, which would lead to a premature corrosion between the two various metals. Since you live in the mountains, this is something you may need to consider. I have McG kit on my truck and personally love the ride even on 24s and I know they have the spindle kits for the 14+ GM trucks. If you are set on doing 3/5, I say go with the McG spindle, belltech lowering strut and the McG flip kit.
Good points, I talked to switch suspension and he set me up with a kit minus the drop spindle due to it not working on my truck.
Hopefully it works out well for me, all the components are mcgaughys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts