GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Silverado k1500 ext just got it a few months back. When it was actually snowing outside. So I didnt really notice it. Anyways it will blow air just not cold. I tried recaharging it and when it got cold the clutch on the compressor stopped and it has not kicked back on since. It doesnt move at all but it still blows air in the ac mode. Warm air that is. Did my compressor bite the last bullet when I recharged it? How about the repair do I need to get the system vacd before I remove the compressor. I can do the nut and bold labor myself but I dont have the slightest about the flushing and recharging which a local shop offers for 89.95 let me know what you guys think. Thanks

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
Your best bet is to have someone test the system. They'll hook up gauges that'll determine if you just need a charge, or the compressor itself is bad.

Needing a Charge = Leak somewhere.

I'll let Hit Man X chime in, he lives in Hell and is pretty good with A/C issues :rofl2:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Fuck, computer crashed and I lost what I typed.

Tell me if the compressor clutch still spins or not, then I'll tell you what to do.

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it spins if you jump the switch but other then that it never kicks on. If you put a jumper in that switch it runs and stays running. Thanks.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well, good news the compressor isn't seized. Bad news, you have to find your leak.

Since it's a '97, add some 134A and pick up a leak detector kit and sniff around with it. I would NOT add without gauges, local auto stores rent them or you can just buy your own set (which I'd recommend).

Now, if the compressor is smooth and quiet, it's up to you on replacing it or not when the system is open. The system has to be opened to repair the leak, you not only leak refrigerant, you leak oil too. :puke:

Anyway, once you find the leak (hell, it could be the front seal on the compressor) you have to open the system. Well, since you're in there go ahead and replace all the o-rings with NYLOG o-rings. A kit is maybe $6. They have to be preoiled before install.

You will need a new dryer, you need to replace the expansion device/orifice tube. too. Even the evap core could be leaking. Also, I'd pull the condenser and blast the fins out with high pressure water so air flows well.

I WOULD flush the entire system out when it's open as you will have to add ester oil to get the level up. Now, it's best to have a bit less oil than too much...

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent got the kit yet but it seems to me that I can feel some air coming out of the fittings around the accumulator when it is on so I dont know if that is the culprit. Like I said this is the first time tinkering with a ac system of any kinds so I am little dumb on this. You live and you learn though. I priced a new comp, accum, o tube and the ring kit for about 380 bucks. Since the comp might not be bad I might luck out We will see I will go to advance and get the parts tonight hopefully tear into it this weekend.

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems weird when I put the gauge on the low press port the reading goes up to around 45 psi then the comp kicks on and it drops back down to 15 or so and it just cycles on that like it takes a couple seconds to build up then goes back down to 15 again I feel a leak coming of the fittings going to the accum from the compressor. If I just get the system depleted then take off thos fitting and put new o rings it might stop the leak. It is just weird how the pressure builds up the comp kicks on for a sec then off again. Maybe I am missing something about how the system works.

·
In Work
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well. Thanks so much for all of your help. Looks like I found the culprit and the fix is $2.79 from advance auto parts. I put some leak detect and found of the leak is on the fitting going into the compressor. It cools like a beast right now with the charge. I found out that the cycling was the compressors way of evening out the low and high press sys. So if the leak is persistant then the next time its depleted I will get it vaccd put the new o rings and all should be peachy. Wow I am relieved that it turned out like this. Now onto my next project. Thanks so much again you guys kick ass!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Now you know what to do. :gayfight:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts