GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been running my 7" CST for about a month and I'm loving it, EXCEPT for the rear. It is low about 2", sitting Cali-style :nono: . I already have 4" blocks in the back and pinion angle is good, no vibration. I'm thinking of adding a leaf in the pack to gain some height. My truck is a '92 1500 2wd and was sitting level before lift (springs worn?) and now is high in the front.

-Would adding a leaf affect my pinion angle to cause a problem?

-If so, what can I do to correct it?

-Would adding a leaf give me some height, even though my springs are worn?

-Are all leafs about the same? I was looking at ProComp.

By the way $$ is short, so a new spring pack is out of the question as well as a shackle flip.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
If $$$ is short, do a shackle flip if you have accsess to a welder and torch and grinder. But yes adding any lift will always affect pinion angle but how much is what we dont know. Where are you located in TX? But if you have 7" in the front ant stock springs in the rear with 4" blocks, its going to sit lower in the back because of different lift amounts, Is there somthing Im missing?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
it probably wont throw it off enough to matter. If it does just use a shim between the block and the leafs.

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
i got the pro comp add-a-leaf kit on my truck. it didn't effect the pinion angle enough to really notice. my springs were sagging before but now they sit just right.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ADyingDevotion said:
Wouldnt worn springs lower the front? Man I have a 7" CST lift and 4" blocks and my truck sits level I dont get it.
The REAR springs are worn. A stock 2wd comes with about 2-3" of rake however my truck was sitting level before the lift. The CST kit raises the front 7" and the rear 4" assuming there is the rake, and it levels it off. However, mine was level BEFORE the lift and thusly is now low in the rear.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CowboyKyle said:
If $$$ is short, do a shackle flip if you have accsess to a welder and torch and grinder. But yes adding any lift will always affect pinion angle but how much is what we dont know. Where are you located in TX? But if you have 7" in the front ant stock springs in the rear with 4" blocks, its going to sit lower in the back because of different lift amounts, Is there somthing Im missing?
I'm in Austin. I would do a shackle flip but I don't have access to a welder and/or cutting torch up here at school and also I would then have to worry about the axle moving forward because of the flip and then having to compensate for that using zero rates but then I would still need like a 2 or 3" block....all of this adds up to time and $$$ which I don't have much of right now, when I'm hoping an add-a-leaf could do the job. You are missing that I didn't have the factory rake before the lift.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dark Eternal said:
it probably wont throw it off enough to matter. If it does just use a shim between the block and the leafs.
Hey DE, how would you go about this? I'm figuring you would have done it "right the first time", I would have too, but there were many factors that played into the decision.

What would you do with what I've got?
How much would you charge to say add-a-leaf and shim if neccessay or add a shackle flip (but $$$ adds up on this one)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slimm44 said:
i got the pro comp add-a-leaf kit on my truck. it didn't effect the pinion angle enough to really notice. my springs were sagging before but now they sit just right.
How much lift did you gain with the ProComp?
Where did you purchase them from?
About how much sagging did you have compared to stock?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Well youre in look dude because i live in austin too and i'm a welder by trade :shake: We can find out how much it will move the axle forward and price out some zer-rates accordingly. Zero-rates shouldnt be anymore then add-aleafs when you factor in the cost of new U-bolts and nuts. We can do the shackle flip at my house if you like. I can stop by a Chevy dealership and grab some measurements on the brackets that will need to be built. And yes, if your truck was level before the lif, your rear springs are worn because its supposed to sit ass-high from the factory. Atleast youll have good flex :anitoof:

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
trauts83 said:
Ok, so I've been running my 7" CST for about a month and I'm loving it, EXCEPT for the rear. It is low about 2", sitting Cali-style :nono: . I already have 4" blocks in the back and pinion angle is good, no vibration. I'm thinking of adding a leaf in the pack to gain some height. My truck is a '92 1500 2wd and was sitting level before lift (springs worn?) and now is high in the front.

-Would adding a leaf affect my pinion angle to cause a problem?

-If so, what can I do to correct it?

-Would adding a leaf give me some height, even though my springs are worn?

-Are all leafs about the same? I was looking at ProComp.

By the way $$ is short, so a new spring pack is out of the question as well as a shackle flip.
I have a 7" Fabtech on my 95 2wd. I would have had the same problem you have, but I installed a 2.5" Procomp add-a-leaf along with the 4 inch block, and my truck sits level. The pinion angle is fine with this set up. I have no vibrations at all, and with a slightly stiffer rear suspension the truck handles better, and since the spring pack is stiffened by the extra leaf, there is less axle wrap if any at all. Hope this helps. :shake:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
just FYI - a shackle flip would raise you 5" in the back, 4" in the flip or so and another 1" from teh zero rate. You would be hardcore ass high - an AAL is the way to go in your case.

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
trauts83 said:
How much lift did you gain with the ProComp?
Where did you purchase them from?
About how much sagging did you have compared to stock?
i got about 2.5" when i first installed them. they've probably settled a little since then, but so has my front end. here's a couple comparison shots:
before

after

got mine from 4 wheel parts.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
just FYI - a shackle flip would raise you 5" in the back, 4" in the flip or so and another 1" from teh zero rate. You would be hardcore ass high - an AAL is the way to go in your case.
I'm confused? :think:

If he has a 7" lift in the front, and he flips his shackles, adds a zero-rate, and deletes the 4" block, how will it sit ass high?

I'm lost...... :think: :think:

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
CowboyKyle said:
I'm confused? :think:

If he has a 7" lift in the front, and he flips his shackles, adds a zero-rate, and deletes the 4" block, how will it sit ass high?

I'm lost...... :think: :think:
Dude, I don't think DE meant to keep the blocks with zero rates stacked on them. :anitoof:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
axisT6 said:
Dude, I don't think DE meant to keep the blocks with zero rates stacked on them. :anitoof:
Exactly, so how would it sit ass-high? :think:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts