GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my procomp 1.5" aals. how do i install them? the instructions are vague, i'd appreciate some help.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Well here is how I do AALs

1) go under the truck, disconnect the shocks, u bolts. You shouldnt need to undo the brakes or diff breather, it will have enough slack.

2) Jack up thge truck until the leafs seperate from the spring perches on the axle, this way your axle is sittin on the ground, just connected by the drive shaft. Its a good idea to put a jack stand under the pinion to support it so yoru axle doesnt roll.

3) USE JACK STANDS to keep the truck up, dont rely on the jack.

4) now put a C clamp on the leaf pack , and undo any leaf clamps on it, and then the center pin.

5) Take the clamp off carefull, watch out, all the leafs except the main one will come off. Now place the AAL in the correct spot and use the C clamp to put the pack back together. This can sometimes be pretty tricky, and you can use as many clamps as needed.

6) put in the new longer center pin and all the leaf clamps, do this to both sides.

7) Set the truck back onto the axle, and bolt her all back up!

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks stephen, procomp's instructions could not have been any worse. i was skeptical about using c-clamps, i couldn't find any, so i didn't use 'em! just jacked the back of the truck up with a forklift, unbolted everything and slipped the new leaves in. these damn things are huge, like 3' long. i was expecting the tiny little leaves like TRD makes. not used to this heavy duty suspension. they were much easier to install than i first thought. raised the truck about an inch.

·
6,656 Posts
cool. glad you got them in, its a pretty easy job. I did a set in my friends z71 in about 40 min a month or so ago.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dark Eternal said:
cool. glad you got them in, its a pretty easy job. I did a set in my friends z71 in about 40 min a month or so ago.

the wifi toolbox came in handy.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snigbertese said:
i got the same wireless system, how do you like yours?
i use it at work, it works well for mobile use, the router is in the office about 100' from the shop through some walls. i get 11mb/sec using the wireless, but for uploading or downloading big files i just plug the laptop into the router.

here's how the truck came out

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
sweet man, wish i had a labtop, i have to run upstairs, go back to my truck, run upstairs get on the computer, run back to my truck. And my printer sucks so yeah :anitoof:

·
6,656 Posts
Kyle said:
sweet man, wish i had a labtop, i have to run upstairs, go back to my truck, run upstairs get on the computer, run back to my truck. And my printer sucks so yeah :anitoof:
Worst part is washing the grease off your hands every time. My hands are cracked and dry by the end of the day from washing so much. Im probably going to put my old pc in my garage next year and just say fuck it, it weill be my grease keyboard/computer.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
A lil bit of grease never hurt anything...and if it did fuck up the keyboard, new cheap ones are like $10...

·
6,656 Posts
Ill probably just throw my PC in teh garage and not worry, it hasnt been used in about 9 months anyways. I do all of my work on my G5 or my girlfriends powerbook G4.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dark Eternal said:
Worst part is washing the grease off your hands every time. My hands are cracked and dry by the end of the day from washing so much. Im probably going to put my old pc in my garage next year and just say fuck it, it weill be my grease keyboard/computer.
what are you washing with? i use zep MVP orange hand cleaner and my hands are fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts