GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this question in here rather than the street section because most probably don't have similar ideas as to mine.

First of all I just have a flip kit in the back. I bottom out constantly and it sits extremely low. I've come to blame it on a worn out set of leaf springs. I bought a set of add a leaves in hopes of bringing the ass end up a bit.

I need a fair amount of weight transfer since my truck does have a fair amount of power(around to 475/500 with nitrous).

Does anyone think swapping the overloads out for the add a leaves will make a different in ride height?

My truck is 10 years old and has never been hooked up to tow anything in its entire life. I bring stuff up to college, but nothing over 500-600 pounds.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Ever thought of running air shocks? I like mine I aired mine up in the back to keep from bottoming out. It might give you a slight rake but they work pretty well.

I wouldn't think an AAL would make that much of a difference. The overload is so stiff it hardly moves at all.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Ever thought of running air shocks? I like mine I aired mine up in the back to keep from bottoming out. It might give you a slight rake but they work pretty well.

I wouldn't think an AAL would make that much of a difference. The overload is so stiff it hardly moves at all.
that was my thoughts. the overload is such a stiff spring that i think if you put a aal in then it would compress and do you no good

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Helper Bags :imo , thats what I plan on using. I jsut dont want to have to run a 8" spacer under my damn bags :nono:.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
BTW, when are you heading back to Lawton Mark?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I am currently running the monroe air shocks in the back. It just seems like a cheap fix and I'm not a huge fan of them. I'd like to put my doetsch tech shocks on and not have to worry about it

Have you given any thought to a set of helper bags?
I wish I could, but I have a DJM notch and none work with that notch as far as I know. If anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to let me know

Helper Bags :imo , thats what I plan on using. I jsut dont want to have to run a 8" spacer under my damn bags :nono:.
See above. I wish I could, but the notch is what's killing me.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
You could always fab your own brackets and use one of those universal helper bag kits. There was a guy with a thread "another lowered NNBS" about 2 weeks ago that used them, they looked pretty good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
A little cardboard to fab some brackets and helper bags. Other than that an add a leaf is gonna be the same as your overload. Im sure between Jameson and I or down it ATX we can find somewhere to find you a place to make bag mounts for your DJM notches.

·
4,725 Posts
Add a leaf is NOT the same as overload. An overload is flat, only adds lift from leaf thickness, no change in spring rate, possibly a shade of axle wrap.
Addaleaf re-arches the pack to add lift, and obviously increases spring rate(sometimes considerably), possibly less wrap.

·
4,725 Posts
Add a leaf is NOT the same as overload. An overload is flat, only adds lift from leaf thickness, no change in spring rate, possibly a shade of axle wrap.
Addaleaf re-arches the pack to add lift, and obviously increases spring rate(sometimes considerably), possibly less wrap.

G

·
:read: :word:

An overload doesn't flex until you've loaded down the bed. An AAL is used throughout the suspension's range of motion and will likely add lift - even after removing the overload. It will ride stiffer than it does now as well.

If you're bottoming out on a daily basis, I would go for a bigger notch. It will let you keep your ride height and spring rate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts