GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first off I had my '02 since new and was an idiot for trading it in back in October! So I found an '02 that's almost the same as my old one, but in better condition and a lot less miles. My old truck had more features, and a couple I actually miss having. First the self-dimming rearview mirror. Are all the trucks wired the same, so I can just find the harness and mirror to install, or am I SOL?
Also, the fog lights came in handy quite a few times, especially in the NW where it's foggy 1/2 the time at night (I work swing). Are those plug and play too, or should I just grab an aftermarket kit? The stock one worked great so if I can snag that I would be happy with it.

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
yes on both. just do a search. I think on the 02 you may have to get the BCM flashed at the dealer for the factory fog lights to work.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I looked it up but didn't find anything on the board, found a few kits on Ebay for the fog lights and the actual mirrors, but none of the pigtails. Doesn't feel like I have the harness under the headliner, but I'll have to look closer. Neither is going to be bad if I can't do it, just would be nice to have again. :hmm:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I found a rear view mirror, but I won't get it unless I know about the wiring harness. I wouldn't think they'd have a few different main harnesses, so are all the harnesses the same, and just have somethings not present? The Mirror comes with the pigtail, so I'd just need the place to plug it in. I guess I could just pull the overhead console and check, huh? LOL!

How do you remove that BTW? It is like everything else and just snaps into place? Don't want to break it.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
If you have an overhead console and are only installing the autodim mirror (no compass or temp) then it's just power and ground. I hate to tell you but in the GMT800 trucks if it didn't come with it you don't have the wiring for it.

Fog lights will need the BCM flashed if you want to use the stock switch. There is a GM kit that runs about $150-$200 depending on vehicle. I installed one in my 02.

·
Registered
425 Posts
hey guys i was wondering as im gonna add fogs to my 05 and have been told ill have to reflash the bcm if it doesnt work.. could i just put a used bcm in that had fogs programed already or are they vin specific ?

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
IIRC 05 won't need to BCM programmed, but if it does they ARE vin specific for your options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts