GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever added a winch to their ranch hand grill guard. If so, how? Please attach pictures.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Those brush guards that alway deform right back into the grill in an impact? I somehow am doubting their ability to hold 9000lbs of tension, let alone 18000 with a snatch block from a fullsize friendly 9k+ winch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I already have it, I really want this winch, but I want to make sure I do it right (i dont want to mount it to my ranch hand and end up having the grill guard pulled off my truck) What should I do?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i welded a 2" receiver onto mine on my old 03 z71, added some plating on the back for strenght and had a 9.5ti on a multimount, used a snatchblock all the time and never saw it flex or break.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Z71: did you just get a generic class III, 2" hitch and cut it to fit & reinforce it?
I like the utility of having a cradle mount, and I believe this would be the best way to go about it. Thanks for the help...any more pictures of the setup?

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
sell the ranchhand and buy something that was made for a winch. Otherwise it's going to be your ass if something breaks and hurts/kills somebody. If you have that same brushguard as in the pics it really doesn't look strong at all. And I don't care what brand it is, or what you do to it, a grille guard is no replacement for a good winch bumper.

If you're really that cheap, just buy a reciever hitch for the front framerails and put it in there.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i just bought a 2" center receiver not the whole hitch, basically is just 2" square tubing. you could also go the full reciever hitch route which ive seen done as well but most will mount below the grille guard. i will agree in the pictures u cant tell that it is reinforced and strong, i think the reason it has held up is because it is level with the frame rails and the mounts that goto the grill guard which are 3/8" steel.

i will do some digging around and see if i can find any better pics of it...sadly the truck is sold so i can just go take a pic of it...

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
You can pick up a warn mount (black) that can hold a winch for about $270. I think it's a better deal than trying to engineer a mount on a brush guard that was never designed to withstand the forces a winch can exert.

home_mast.jpg

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
if you look at the warn bumper and the ranchhand, the warn is just a 1/4" piece of steel but the ranchhand has a 3/8" with a piece of 1" flat plate on the outside, thus if the width is the same (which the warn looks narrower to me) you will have to cut this 1" flat plate off the ranchhand to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You can always just buy a 2" Reciever hitch for the front, people do make heavy duty hitches fit to go on the front of trucks. I don't know what kind of truck you have but I can get you ballpark price you'll pay for one if you give me some specs. There are several brands making them including Drawtite, Curt, and Reese.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts