GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 5.3 H.O. motor that I have added CAI, LT headers, and a 93 oct. Blackbear tune to. It has woken up quite a bit. I have also added a vette servo, and 456 gears to my truck aswell. Now what would be the next big improvement I could do to my truck, since Im now getting used to the gains I have added? Cam, built trans? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that thought has crossed my mind on a few occasions. What I'm trying to do is slowly build my truck up so EVENTUALLY I can do that. but in the mean time I'll need it to perform without the FI and with the mods I have done/plan on doing.
-What does porting and polishing the heads do, or is there a good set out there to help with my setup?
-Any cam recommendations?

·
Hella
918 Posts
What cam you chose is going to depend on your REALISTIC ideas for down the road, a big N/A cam will perform like mike in a ballet competition on a FI setup down the road, somewhat retaded, however a well suited Zo6 cam for a FI setup will make you wonder why you spent the cash now for hardly any gain...but as soon as you get some FI on there you will be loving yourself.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What cam you chose is going to depend on your REALISTIC ideas for down the road, a big N/A cam will perform like mike in a ballet competition on a FI setup down the road, somewhat retaded, however a well suited Zo6 cam for a FI setup will make you wonder why you spent the cash now for hardly any gain...but as soon as you get some FI on there you will be loving yourself.
haha yeah I hear ya. So what would be a good cam for my set-up?

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
if you are going FI then throw the z06 cam in.........what kind of fi you want will deceide what type of stall you want........

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Cam swaps are so simple on these motors, why run an LS6 cam now if you're not boosted? Run a good mild cam for your setup now, then IF you end up going FI get the LS6 cam. The key is IF you end up doing it. :imo

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cam swaps are so simple on these motors, why run an LS6 cam now if you're not boosted? Run a good mild cam for your setup now, then IF you end up going FI get the LS6 cam. The key is IF you end up doing it. :imo
^^^ Very true.
I'm just stuck on which cam would be good for my setup.
I don't want it too mild but I do daily drive it. I want something that I will without a doubt notice. I want it to be worth doing the swap.
Do you have any recommendations as to which cam/stall setup would be good for that? Thanks, I know its kinda a beat up topic.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
^^^ Very true.
I'm just stuck on which cam would be good for my setup.
I don't want it too mild but I do daily drive it. I want something that I will without a doubt notice. I want it to be worth doing the swap.
Do you have any recommendations as to which cam/stall setup would be good for that? Thanks, I know its kinda a beat up topic.

Honestly dude, one of the best cams for a 5.3 I had was that 212/218 low lift (I think it was .522/.529) on a 114lsa. Great gains and can rock a stock stall for a while. I thought it'd be cool to go bigger a few times and didn't feel it was worth the time for the hassle involved. Vinci 062 is another good one... 210/218 .551 on a 112LSA Hell, they'll work decently with FI too

Stall again is up to you, how loose can you tolerate or do you like? I HATE stock converters, they're awful. 3k is the minimum I'd go with, that Yank TT 3000 is a great one, I've had three LOL I'd say drive something or ride in something to get the characteristics so you can make a more informed decision.

Too much cam w/o stall sucks.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly dude, one of the best cams for a 5.3 I had was that 212/218 low lift (I think it was .522/.529) on a 114lsa. Great gains and can rock a stock stall for a while. I thought it'd be cool to go bigger a few times and didn't feel it was worth the time for the hassle involved. Vinci 062 is another good one... 210/218 .551 on a 112LSA Hell, they'll work decently with FI too

Stall again is up to you, how loose can you tolerate or do you like? I HATE stock converters, they're awful. 3k is the minimum I'd go with, that Yank TT 3000 is a great one, I've had three LOL I'd say drive something or ride in something to get the characteristics so you can make a more informed decision.

Too much cam w/o stall sucks.
Thanks alot for the info man. It'll be hard to find someone with a cam set-up to ride in so if any one has a similar set-up chime in with your experience.
Im going to do a little more research on stalls to see what i might like.
So do you think a cam and stall would be then next best performance thing to do to my truck?
another question, is there a link or something to explain about porting and polishing heads? what gains do you achieve from this? is it worth it?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
P&Ping the heads on a 5.3 isn't worth it, for the cost you could just have a 6L

Think of the 5.3 as the old 305 and the 6L as the 350... related to bore sizing. Small bore sucks with one valve.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts