GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chevy Owner
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...I'm going to get new tires soon and I'm probably going to go with BFG A/T's, 285/75's. I ran up to a few places today to check out some prices. All of them told me that if i run those tires, then I will have to adjust my Torsion Bars a little. Now, is this true? and if so, how do you adjust them? Do I tighten the bolt, or loosen it? :shrug: I know with ZR2 S10's that a full turn is equal to about 1/4" of lift...is this the same for our trucks? Any help will be great.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
You might have to crank them up a little. You tighten the bolt to gain height, and there isn't really a set number of turns, just take a tape measure to your fender and get it equal on both sides (assuming you're on level ground). Also, get an alignment when its all said and done.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor and make sure to jack up the front end, dont do it when the truck is on the ground. Its a good way to snap teh head off the TB bolt and its a huge PITA to get that out. I broke one and it was no fun (I wasnt turning the bolt with the truck on teh ground, I just had a defect bolt or some shit, I was actually losening it when it snapped!)

·
Chevy Owner
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. Two of the places I went to said that they would throw in a Free alignment when I get the tires so I'm good there. I'll get some pictures up once I get em on.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I might just do that. Anyone in the Houston area need their torsion bars adjusted or ford keys added? If so let me know Ill do it for ya and use your truck for pics!

·
2,451 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
I might just do that. Anyone in the Houston area need their torsion bars adjusted or ford keys added? If so let me know Ill do it for ya and use your truck for pics!
I figured that was up your sleeves :bowtie:

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Shouldn't be any need for cranking, Unless you are using wide rims (in which case more then an 8 still shouldnt require any lift) or something with wierd backspacing.

I have 285's on my halfton and it's at stock height, still a good amount of room for stuffing as well. 285 is basically the biggest you can go without questioning anything. There are tons of cowboys that are running taller tires then 33", but you can run into problems going that route.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
when i had my 285's i just cranked so i would be level

·
Chevy Owner
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I figured that I wouldn't need to crank them, but I was just going by what the one place said. Thanks again guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts