GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My name is John. I am looking to buy an 88 gmc regular cab pickup shortbed/stepside,auto trans with 4 wheel drive, 115,000 miles, v8. They are asking $5000 with 1 year warranty on trans(trans previously rebuilt). I used to have an 88 and loved it, but it was a 5spd and 2wheel drive, so im not sure how I will like this one with the auto tranny. My question is, does this price seem reasonable? Its hard to know because you cant really go by blue book value with a truck like this, or can you?

Trans/4wd
My plan is to dismantle the 4wd and throw a full manual auto trans in. What I am looking for is full control of the gears with no clutch. What would be the appropriate tranny to put in to achieve the control im looking for? Im thinking 700r4?

How difficult is it to dismantle the 4wd? It it just bolting out, or does it involve removing the whole front axel? Im not too familiar with the 4wd modelsm. Thanks for any help or comments regarding this.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
496BB
1,749 Posts
I would go a 700r4 do a reverse pattern full Manuel. All you have to do is in bolt the front drive shaft, the rear shaft an the t-case and your free.

Sent from my Big Block iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go a 700r4 do a reverse pattern full Manuel. All you have to do is in bolt the front drive shaft, the rear shaft an the t-case and your free.

Thanks. Why a reverse pattern as opposed to a forward pattern? Or is there an option for forward pattern?

·
496BB
1,749 Posts
It's just what ice seen popular with a Manuel valve body. You can do either.

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
Th400 would be much stronger than a 700r4. Could do a manual valve body th400 swap when ur warranty is up.
Kinda hard to tell the vehicle's value, depends on how the body is.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Th400 would be much stronger than a 700r4. Could do a manual valve body th400 swap when ur warranty is up.
Kinda hard to tell the vehicle's value, depends on how the body is.
Perhaps, but the 400 doesn't have OD. Need to know more about the OPs purpose for buying this truck.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
How is the warranty going to be valid if you put in a manual valve body?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps, but the 400 doesn't have OD. Need to know more about the OPs purpose for buying this truck.
Now that you mentioned it, the OD would suit me better. so just to be clear, the 700r4 has OD and the th400 does not, correct?
How is the warranty going to be valid if you put in a manual valve body?
It's not. I was just stating what the car has for the price and if it was reasonable.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
th400 is a 3 spd and 700r4 is a 4 spd

Why even mention it then? They are using that as a selling point. If you want stick convert it to stick but $5000 for a 88 with 4wd and an auto that you don't want? Hold off for a 2wd at the very least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
th400 is a 3 spd and 700r4 is a 4 spd

Why even mention it then? They are using that as a selling point. If you want stick convert it to stick but $5000 for a 88 with 4wd and an auto that you don't want? Hold off for a 2wd at the very least.
They are hard to find in good shape. ive been searching a lot. so I just wanted to know if that was reasonable for the price, aside from what my future plans were.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are keeping the engine in stock form there will be nothing wrong with a 700r4. It is very comparable to the 4l60e........ There are better trans but isn't a piece of shit either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are keeping the engine in stock form there will be nothing wrong with a 700r4. It is very comparable to the 4l60e........ There are better trans but isn't a piece of shit either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts